type of radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

troymail

Silent Key
Today? Almost any scanner that can handle P25 (digital) voice - for a basic scanner that receives the current AA County system well and at a reasonable cost, I'd look at a something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Whistler-WS1040-Handheld-Digital-Scanner/dp/B00IID3OAY

However, given changes around the area - including Anne Arundel in the next few years, you might want to consider other more current scanner options (if you have the money - as in - $600-800).... The above radio may not be sufficient when Anne Arundel switches over to their new system in the next few years.

Just keep in mind that new products come out all the time. I purchased my first digital scanner for Anne Arundel County in anticipation of the county going digital many, many (many) years ago.... then the police didn't switch to digital for years beyond that - and fire still isn't digital (but it is finally coming - in a few more years).

Last edited:

ThePhotoGuy

Premium Subscriber
Agree with Troy.

It will probably take at least 4 more years until users are active with the new system. By then I would highly bet the AACoPD talkgroups will be fully encrypted. AAPD utilizes their MDT/MDC (In car computers) and encrypted talkgroups already a lot.

If you are just interested in AACo and not the statewide radio system or PG County then a radio like Troy's would be a good choice.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
Why would you bet AACo police will go fully encrypted? Most large police departments in Maryland are not encrypted except for specialized uses. Only a few small departments are / plan to use full time encryption.

As far as the WS1080 / PSR800 recommendation, that would not be my first choice. If you want to future-proof and spend $650, buy a SDS100. Bonus is that it is almost perfect in reception of AACo's current system's digital talkgroups, a vast improvement over my WS1080/PSR-800, and better than my previous 436. OTOH, I have a PSR-800 for sale - it has been upgraded by Whistler with WS1080 firmware and is supported with factory software releases. PM me if interested. It's going up on eBay soon, starting price $100.

maus92

Premium Subscriber
I don't think a WS1080/PSR800 was even mentioned.

Nothing is "future proof"... and we already know there is another new radio being released later this year.

Granted, I only saw the WS10 and assumed it was a 1080. But what I said about the SDS100 being far superior in reception of digital waveform (P25P1) on the AACo system to the WS1080 (PSR-800) stands. I would expect the WS1080 to be superior to the WS1040, but I have not listened to the WS1040.

What is the new radio being released this year? Are you talking about a new scanner or a new public safety radio waveform / protocol?

troymail

Silent Key
Granted, I only saw the WS10 and assumed it was a 1080. But what I said about the SDS100 being far superior in reception of digital waveform (P25P1) on the AACo system to the WS1080 (PSR-800) stands. I would expect the WS1080 to be superior to the WS1040, but I have not listened to the WS1040.

What is the new radio being released this year? Are you talking about a new scanner or a new public safety radio waveform / protocol?

https://forums.radioreference.com/w...nch-new-lsm-capable-scanners.html#post2932272

maus92

Premium Subscriber

Wonderful. But the meaning of "future-proof" in context was referring to AACo's transition to a P25 Phase 2 system. The WS1080 (and I'll assume the 1040) don't work as well on the state's Phase 2 system as the SDS100 in my experience - it is truly awful on the Talbot site where it lives now. AACo's new Motorola system, although denser in coverage, will be similar to the state's Motorola system, and the SDS does a fantastic job monitoring it. Whistler's entry into the "LSM-capable" market is certainly new for the brand, but they are not the first manufacturer to do so (but that might be an advantage.) I like the Bluetooth option though.

troymail

Silent Key
Point being is - given the user asked about monitoring the Anne Arundel police, generally nearly any P25/digital scanner can do so now -- some better than others. Monitoring the new AA P25 system down the road could be done by a number of higher cost scanners - including some that don't even exist yet...

There is always going to be something better later....

Status
Not open for further replies.