• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Combining multiple repeaters

Status
Not open for further replies.

sjmark24

Hey all, I was wondering if there is a way to combine multiple repeaters onto one frequency. The only way I was currently able to think of is to have several additional repeaters monitoring the initial repeaters then having them all transmit on the same frequency which would connect them to a central repeater to then transmit onto the final statewide frequency.

Is this possible or will each one of the repeaters step on each other and cause a mess of the transmission?

Thank you

Will001

Premium Subscriber
It will cause a huge mess. There are ways to have dual mode repeaters (ie: Analog/P25 repeaters), but if the repeaters are all analog on one frequency, and even if you had PL tones for each one, it would cause a big mess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Also, it isn’t a great idea to run 2 repeaters off of one antenna, even if it is just one receive antenna. We have a couple of ham radio repeaters around our area that don’t function properly because of this. Even if I’m one mile away AND running 50 watts transmit power, all I get is signal reports of being almost unreadable.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Also, it isn’t a great idea to run 2 repeaters off of one antenna, even if it is just one receive antenna. We have a couple of ham radio repeaters around our area that don’t function properly because of this. Even if I’m one mile away AND running 50 watts transmit power, all I get is signal reports of being almost unreadable.

Nonsense. Properly done the loss is minimal.

If you're one mile away AND running 50 watts and you're unreadable, there's a problem somewhere.

I've got a few sites with more than one repeater connected to the same antenna and my coverage is easily over 50 miles on each repeater.

sjmark24

I would have each additional relay repeater on their own antenna and duplexer.

For example

Each main repeater is receiving 123.000 and transmitting on their own frequency.

I would setup repeaters to receive each of those independent repeaters then transmit on 132.000 which would be the receiving on the main statewide repeater which would then be transmitting on its own frequent.

(All frequency's mentioned are strictly for example)

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Hey all, I was wondering if there is a way to combine multiple repeaters onto one frequency.

Proper simulcast techniques would allow you to do this. The hardware and engineering requirements to make it sound ok are non-trivial.

Will001

Premium Subscriber
Nonsense. Properly done the loss is minimal.

If you're one mile away AND running 50 watts and you're unreadable, there's a problem somewhere.

I've got a few sites with more than one repeater connected to the same antenna and my coverage is easily over 50 miles on each repeater.

It’s not properly done. Whoever put it up didn’t know what they were doing.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
It’s not properly done. Whoever put it up didn’t know what they were doing.

Properly done, the end result is nearly indistinguishable from running everything on separate antennas, sometimes better. I have seen as many as 12 repeaters, tx and rx, all running on a single antenna, trouble free.

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Analog simulcast is what you are looking to do. The two decent systems out there is Gates Air/Harris Syncrocast (pricey but easy to troubleshoot) and Motorola MLC based IP simulcast (less expensive but you need damned good IP links).

Both systems are out of ham radio's budget unless you are in the business and have surplus equipment.

Analog Simulcast and TRBO trunking pay my salary, and I can honestly say it's cost is out of reach for a hobby. I recommend not trying simulcast. It sounds like the technical expertise isn't there to make this work in your case regardless.

N2AL

I once visited Saint Louis and they had a system similar to this. It used a voter system and worked suite well. Can anyone with experience in voter systems give us the technical side of things?

zz0468

QRT
Banned
I once visited Saint Louis and they had a system similar to this. It used a voter system and worked suite well. Can anyone with experience in voter systems give us the technical side of things?

Go over to repeater-builder.com. There's plenty of information published about voting, linking, simulcast, and so on.

majoco

Stirrer
Not quite sure what the OP is asking but we have a very good 70cm "National System" - dedicated repeaters up and down the country are linked so as long as you are listening on your local link repeater anyone in the country can call you on their link repeater frequency.

Last edited:

majoco

Stirrer
I don't understand why this topic was moved out of "Amateur Radio", it's not going to get any attention down here in "Industry Discussion"

kayn1n32008

ØÆSØ
I don't understand why this topic was moved out of "Amateur Radio", it's not going to get any attention down here in "Industry Discussion"

Yes it will. It is much more common to combine multiple repeaters to a single/pair of antennas in the LMR world than the amateur world

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Exactly.

Keep in mind that nowhere in the OP's post does he even mention amateur radio.

Right now we're all guessing at what he's trying to accomplish. I for one cannot even fathom what he's trying to do.

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Hoping for a better description of what the OP is trying to do. So far, it sounds like a giant feedback loop.

Sent using Tapatalk

lmrtek

This sounds like some attempt to avoid buying to a system designed to do what is needed from the ground up because of cost.
If lives are on the line, it pays to do it right and hire a professional so you avoid wrongful death suits because of free advice from forum
wannabees.

Status
Not open for further replies.