APARTMENT setup??

Status
Not open for further replies.

trx680

Curious if anyone here lives in an apartment and has a radio setup.
Of course you are very limited and most likely won't be able to put an antenna on the roof. So what would you do?

KD8DVR

No HF. N9TAX slim jims on the wall to make it into local repeaters. That's about it for me. Not the best setup; but I'm getting into some repeaters, including one local DMR machine. Good enough for now.

Golay

A little more detail

Like Royldean said, can you get outside? Can you run a wire to a tree? Do you have a wooden balcony? Your query brings more queries.
As far as 2m and 440, you can hang the slim Jim KD8DVR mentioned. Myself I think a dual band mag mount on a cookie sheet would work out better.

ka3aaa

Premium Subscriber
i lived in the third floor of a three story apartment building in a complex for a very long time and had nearly a dozen antennas of all kinds (beams, ground planes, etc) installed in among the roof trusses without any problems.

I would recommend getting permission from the land lord before doing it first.

ridgescan

I am not a ham but my situation is quite the same here. I live in a 3-story apt. building. I just went up there and deployed a d130j scanner antenna at first in 2008 without asking. Later, up went a 45' wire for HF/SWL. The apt. managers never said a word all those years. When the present owner first showed up to look at the building, I caught him in the hall and told him about what I already had up there and asked for his blessing to keep antennas up there. He went outside and looked up at them and said "sure, they look fine". Now, I have a d130j and a Wellbrook loop both on 10' masts, and a 100' "lazy-L" endfed wire too. The building manager running it now isn't thrilled but he knows I already hit up the owner's approval so he leaves it be.
My moral here is, if you have access to the roof, just try deploying a stealthy wire without asking. The worst they can do is make you remove it. But on the other hand you might get lucky like me and they may not even trip!

BTW I'm in uptight, anal San Francisco:)

trx680

I am not a ham but my situation is quite the same here. I live in a 3-story apt. building. I just went up there and deployed a d130j scanner antenna at first in 2008 without asking. Later, up went a 45' wire for HF/SWL. The apt. managers never said a word all those years. When the present owner first showed up to look at the building, I caught him in the hall and told him about what I already had up there and asked for his blessing to keep antennas up there. He went outside and looked up at them and said "sure, they look fine". Now, I have a d130j and a Wellbrook loop both on 10' masts, and a 100' "lazy-L" endfed wire too. The building manager running it now isn't thrilled but he knows I already hit up the owner's approval so he leaves it be.
My moral here is, if you have access to the roof, just try deploying a stealthy wire without asking. The worst they can do is make you remove it. But on the other hand you might get lucky like me and they may not even trip!

BTW I'm in uptight, anal San Francisco:)

Good idea. Even thought about asking for permission. Not sure how I'd get to the roof though.
This is not for me, but for my son whos away in college.

San Fran huh? OUCH!!

ridgescan

Good idea. Even thought about asking for permission. Not sure how I'd get to the roof though.
This is not for me, but for my son whos away in college.

San Fran huh? OUCH!!
I figure if you just go ahead and deploy it and make darn sure its stealthy and pro, and even if they happen to see it and it doesn't appear as obtrusive as they would picture in their mind, they'd likely not pay it any mind as in my case. If you ask permission, it's probably 98% you'll get a no simply based upon what picture they have in their mind of what such an antenna would look like.
Is it a lot of units in a big building there? If so, I can see how roof access would be worrisome. Here, I just slide my living room window open and the ladder to the roof is right there-I'm on the top floor.
Yeah San Francisco-OUCH is right but I live on the west side where it's more family homes and such. The "extremes" are across town at a comfortable distance.

Skylloga

When I moved in the guy two buildings down was using slim jims on top of the building. He passed them off as plumbing exhaust extensions. The coax ran from his second floor balcony up the corner of the building to the roof. everything was painted to match the vinyl siding. he made friends with the people above him and they never said anything about the antennas.

reedeb

WEll I had my mobile duel band rig in my bed room Ground floor Apt complex. Used a car battery with a trickle charger and duel band Mag mount Ant on a cookie sheet. Mostly talked around Dallas and such on a good day could listen in Fort Wort SKYWARN. Battery is now dead and need a new one [MAYBE this fall/winter before next spring storm season get a new on]
I have a patio BUT cannot drill a hole for coax to go thru. besides on the ground floor and don't like advertising. Now I just use my duel band HT usually just monitoring when bad weather is around.

BMETduck

When I lived on the top floor of my apartment, mine had attic access. I made & strung a fan dipole in the rafters, could hit each coast & parts of Europe from the DFW area. For VHF/UHF, I had a j-pole in the attic as well.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.