• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTS 3000 800mhz

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmartin111

Quick question, very unfamiliar with radio programming. Hopefully someone can help me out here. I'm currently in the market for a reliable handheld. My agency is on a VHF P25 phase 1 system. My question is if i bought a XTS 3000 800 mhz if it would operate on the same system or would it have to be a VHF P25. The XTS 3000 i'm looking at is flashed if this helps. Thanks in advance

Better ask your Chief and ask the system administrator who's in charge of the system who would give the OK for the personal radio on the system he would have to give you a Radio ID.

ok still have to check with the system administrator of the radio system he has to give you the radio ID to be on the system .

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Unless the radio is dual-band, 800MHz will not work on a VHF system.

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
He has already gave me the go ahead. I was just unsure if the 800 would operate on the vhf p25 system.

As others have said a radio designed to work on 800Mhz will not work on 150-174Mhz range.
Since you obviously don't even have a basic understanding of radio spectrum you probably need to stick with scanners.

Marshall KE4ZNR

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
I suggest you get with the system administrator and go through an approved vendor to acquire exactly what you need then. That'll guarantee you end up with a reliable radio that will work right from the beginning without any problems. Too many variables when dealing with trunked subscriber units if you're just starting out.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
XTS 3000

If you are truly wanting to be on a VHF system, there are VHF versions of the XTS 3000. The radio you are asking about will not work and is a very old, discontinued and unsupported, model. They are single band and will do conventional and trunked P25 as well as analog. The XTS series did not come in dual band format.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
To cut though all the noise here, if your department is on VHF which is 150-170 mhz an 800 mhz radio will NOT work. An XTS-3000 in any flavor will NOT work on P-25 Trunking Phase I. Your best bet is a XTS-2500 or XTS-5000 on VHF flashed for P-25 trunking. For conventional P-25 you will need a VHF radio, but a VHF XTS3000 will work with the right flash and firmware.

Checking with your system admin IF you are on a trunking system is a must as he can brick your radio if not aware of it. If you are on conventional P-25 the only thing you may need and you said you have it is permission from your department as the FCC holds the license owner responsible for any unauthorized use of any radio on that license.

KG4INW

Premium Subscriber
Looking at the database, it does appear your county is conventional and not trunked which makes things a lot simpler but still, I'd suggest going through whomever takes care of your radios to see what they can do to help you, even if you're looking to buy your own.

Project25_MASTR

Millennial Graying OBT Guy
An XTS-3000 in any flavor will NOT work on P-25 Trunking Phase I.

Actually, 9600 baud trunking (P25 CAI) was a flash-able option for the XTS3000. Wasn't very commonly optioned as the XTS5000 and XTS2500 were available by the time many agencies began migration from Type II to P25 trunking.

However, point still remains the OP needs a VHF radio and not an 800 MHz radio for his agency's conventional operations.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I suggest you get with the system administrator and go through an approved vendor to acquire exactly what you need then. That'll guarantee you end up with a reliable radio that will work right from the beginning without any problems.

That part. And since the radio will be used for life safety, make sure it has been properly vetted by your radio shop/support team if it is a used radio. You are entrusting your life and the safety of others. Buying a used radio off eBay or any unknown source is a gamble.

There are many hacked up, jacked up, junk parts garbage pail radios from second hand sources. They may work fine for hobbyist or hams, but no way I, as a public safety systems support person, would EVER allow one on our system as the liability is too high.

Trunking radios may require specific options your system management uses. The advice to consult with (and go through their authorized procurement sources) is sound.

Status
Not open for further replies.