BCD436HP/BCD536HP: External speaker - is it worthwhile?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mobilman44

Hi,

I've got a Uniden 436 hooked up to an OmniX antenna, and the unit is pretty much a base station (as opposed to mobile).

I'm looking for sound improvement (clarity) and am thinking an external speaker set up is a solution. Do any of you have ideas on this ?

Thank you,

klinquist

Premium Subscriber
Plug headphones into the headphone jack. If you think it sounds good/clearer,
buy a pair of powered computer speakers. Done.

lou9155

im using logitech computer speakers...kinda ok but p25 1/2 they emphasize the crappy audio..analog is good..has loud audio level.....hows that omniX antenna woking out?...looks interesting

DJ11DLN

Another vote for a good set of computer speakers. My 436 delivers very mediocre audio through the stock speaker. Since you're already "tethered to the wall" with an external antenna, good speakers would be a wise investment. Especially if like me your ears no longer work as well as they used to.:(

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Just make sure whichever speaker you get is an amplified speaker. Headphone jacks do not put out enough power to drive a speaker (if they did, they could also drive an earbud element completely through your head).

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
I agree with all previous posts here, just throwing my 2 pennies in the conversation.

Bose computer speakers here...they can accept audio in through a 1/8" plug and can stay plugged into the desktop, as they mix both sources. Loud, deep and detailed audio.

If using the scanner as a base, there's no reason not to run the audio through decent speakers.

In my experience, ALL digital voice modes sound great on good amplified speakers. Even my XTS3000 on P25 sounds fantastic on the powered speakers. I think a lot of folks get their feet wet with portable radios on digital modes (DMR ham, P25 monitoring, etc) forgetting that the same rules apply as analog.

When I graduated from portables to mobiles in ham DMR, I was blown away by the detail and fidelity that the higher powered audios amps and larger speakers afforded. And it's not a "scanner vs real radio" debate. Even "pro" radios benifit from good amplification and speakers (exept for maybe the APX series, which are capable of jet engine-level dbs LOL) . I almost always run my XTS Moto (local P25 trunk scanning) through either the stereo aux input or the desktop speakers.

All the digital codecs provide for great speech reproduction, they just need the proper speakers/amplification to take advantage of what they provide.

Rich KG5RBG

Last edited:

Anderegg

Enter text in this field
Premium Subscriber
The x36HP scanners have a lot of bass on digital...I would go with an amplified smaller size speaker...the larger speakers tend to sound a bit muffled depending on which brand you get. In my experience.

Paul

ShyFlyer

Premium Subscriber
I guess I'm the only one that finds the integrated speaker just fine for household use. Now, for automotive use, where my 436 spends most of its time, a powered external speaker is an absolute must.

If one does want to use computer speakers, they aren't really all that expensive so it's really easy to experiment to see which style works best for your situation.

Mobilman44

Specifically, what amplified external speakers are out there that plug into AC power (as opposed to hooking up to 12v "vehicle systems"?

The Unidens I've found are either not amplified or APPEAR to be made for vehicle applications. What I want is amplified and AC powered..........

Got any suggestions ???

lou9155

The x36HP scanners have a lot of bass on digital...I would go with an amplified smaller size speaker...the larger speakers tend to sound a bit muffled depending on which brand you get. In my experience.

my thoughts also ..when hooked up to the logitech speakers the bass is very intense....amplifies the p25 mumbling

DJ11DLN

I have a couple of sets of Harman Kardon speakers that I like very much for scanner use. They don't intensify the bass overmuch, nor provide too much treble overdrive for that matter. Center range in other words, right where my tinnitus-afflicted ears need it for speech. Both were picked up at the PC recycling center for a negligible amount, I think it was $5 for one set, $3 for the other because it had some superficial damage (scratches).

budevans

Inland Pro Sound 2000

Hi,

I've got a Uniden 436 hooked up to an OmniX antenna, and the unit is pretty much a base station (as opposed to mobile).

I'm looking for sound improvement (clarity) and am thinking an external speaker set up is a solution. Do any of you have ideas on this ?

Thank you,

If you are looking for an inexpensive speaker with good sound and about 7 to 10 Watts of max power. You should consider the Inland Pro 2000 pc speakers which are sold by Micro Center. They cost $6.99.

I have two sets. One I use with my BCD436HP and the other with my TRX-1. Big improvement over the tiny speakers in both scanners. In my case just to save space, I only use the main speaker (the one with the power cord and on/off switch).

Here's a pic from the Micro Center page.

Attachments

• InlandPro2000.jpg
    InlandPro2000.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 272

SMOKE1

Premium Subscriber
FWIW...
I purchased 2 of these from Amazon for use with my HP 436 since it has low volume from the internal speaker :

HTML:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060LXCA8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
( many colors )

and fed them with this super flexible patch cord which lessens the "Flip Over Stress" on the scanner:

HTML:
 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01K3WXO48/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The speakers will run a couple of days on 2 Alkaline AA batteries since they have a low duty cycle, and the inside pocket will hold 2 another pair of AA's plus the above cable in a mesh pocket inside, c by sipper. It has an on/off switch inside when not in use. The carabiner allows you to clip it to a belt loop if carrying the scanner on your belt, and you can use the attached short audio cord directly to the scanner. The speaker does a great job audio wise, INCREASES scanner run time considerably since the scanners audio amp/volume/power can be set lower (less power Drain) with MORE audio than before. You can also easily carry either 3 more AA's or Nicads in the inside mesh pouch for changing the scanner's diapers.

I'm quite happy with them since the 436's sound is so much more audible.
If you want, a little project time could install a mini usb or such to provide power to the speaker, but alkaline AA's in 40 packs from the Discount Clubs or Amazon keep the grab and go sequence simple.

V/R
Ronzo

Mobilman44

I got an Inland set with volume control & AC adapter. Have to say they work out quite well and the $20 was a bargain.

Status
Not open for further replies.