Logging Software for VHF 2m?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but I'll give it a shot. There are tons of software apps for logging QSOs and Net Control, DX Contesting, etc etc but I am looking for a simple VHF/UHF logging program just to keep track of local contacts. Any suggestions? Thanks

JD
kf4anc

wrath

I am of course a dinosaur showing his age but i have a small spiral bound notepad that has my first thousand contacts (of course many of the call signs went SK and have been reissued , but the memories are there )
I made notes on all my early QSO's ,The act of physicaly writting things down helps to preserve the memories ,but if you want something searchable later?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

krokus

Premium Subscriber
Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but I'll give it a shot. There are tons of software apps for logging QSOs and Net Control, DX Contesting, etc etc but I am looking for a simple VHF/UHF logging program just to keep track of local contacts. Any suggestions? Thanks

JD
kf4anc
Which platform?

Sent using Tapatalk

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I use the logger in Ham Radio Deluxe for HF contacts. I've been using it for years and am too lazy to change.... I don't log FM contacts on VHF/UHF, but I do log all my SSB and CW contacts. It's overkill for what you need.

Here's a site with list of pretty well all the available logging programs.. Kingston Amateur Radio Club - Logging Programs

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Thanks - platform is Windows 10. Just looking for a software log to keep tabs of local vhf/uhf net check-ins, etc

TailGator911

Silent Key/KF4ANC
Some I have tried do not play well with Win10 such as Log32, RACESlog, and nJF3p. I am looking for a vhf/uhf specific ham log, not so much an hf log that I would have to improvise. Is there such a critter out there? I know there is! 3 hrs of searching and I threw my hands up and posted here. You guys know it all lol

k6cpo

Ever thought of a simple hand-written log? You could design your own or use a pre-formatted one (available on the web.)

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
If you have Microsoft Office, you might try using Excel.. Here's a ham that designed his own logging program. He made a copy of it for download .. LogPage

I'd vote with the hand written logbook.
Unless you have a real burning passion for data entry- computer stuff- a written log book is so much more personal- so much more fun to leaf thru years later.... and that ability to leaf thru it in the years to come is one of my principle reasons for paper/pen and ink.

How long do you think that line of code on your now-new SSD computer, your USB drive, that CD, and whatever will replace them-- is going to last ?-- or for that matter, be retrievable??
I'm thinking here of my personal experience storing things on 3 1/2" disks (too young for the days of the true 'floppy's)-- in my innocence and ignorance, I thought I'd be able to access those disk's "forever" (they've now graced some landfill long ago.)
I had a great aunt who, as a young woman, work'd for the Marconi people as a wireless operator. She kept log books of her activities, separate from those of the company's. I have them now- and they are absolutely fascinating to read- in her beautiful Spencerian penmanship, they transport me back to a never-again era of radio. She was not involved with the Titanic's sinking- but at the bottom of one of the log pages is a note about how she learned of it the next day when she came on duty.
Think about posterity... no great grand niece is going to want to-- or be able to-- read a sterile line of code -- but something in your own hand?.. its a family heirloom ! .....;)
Lauri

bharvey2

I am of course a dinosaur showing his age but i have a small spiral bound notepad that has my first thousand contacts (of course many of the call signs went SK and have been reissued , but the memories are there )
I made notes on all my early QSO's ,The act of physicaly writting things down helps to preserve the memories ,but if you want something searchable later?

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I've been using the same method for quite some time. Batteries never wear out and it works for all the bands I work. I do have to replace the ink cartridge in my Cross pen every year or so though.. Works like a charm, being a K.I.S.S. kinda guy. (old one too, it seems)

jwt873

Premium Subscriber
I just realized that I keep a separate log for mobile HF. I use a simple text editor... The one below is done in Kwrite for Linux, but Notepad, Write, Word or whatever you've got would work as well. Here's how mine is laid out.. It shows my very first mobile QSO :)

Attachments

• log.jpg
    log.jpg
    44.6 KB · Views: 139

edweirdFL

I have a nice bound ledger that I write notes about operation, propagation, antenna stuff, and near misses in when I'm operating.

I use N1MM during contests for scoring and dupe checking features.

Day in and day out I log using the online log at QRZ. This works for me since I'm likely to be there looking up call info as well. I'm able to import and export from there to LoTW and eQSL. This is for tracking progress on awards.

I have HamLog installed on a tablet for offline logging if I can't connect to the internet.

k4fx

I’ve used Winlog32 for many years. It’s a free program, it’s lean and mean. It doesn’t gobble up PC resources like some other loggers do, yet it has all the needed bells and whistles you really need.

Give it a try, and good luck!

Bill K4FX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.