scanner's antenna

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Couple of questions…

How much power are you running on the CB? Is it the stock 4 watts, or are you running an amplifier?

What kind of scanner antenna?

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
You really need some vertical separation to get away from that much power. As I'm sure you know, running 250w in close proximity to the scanner antenna will likely result in too much energy hitting the front end of the scanner, possibly damaging it.

The only way to really know for sure is to set up the scanner antenna, hook it up to a power meter and a 50Ω dummy load and try transmitting with the CB/amp. That'll at least show you how much power is going to make it down to the scanner.
How much your scanner will handle would be unknown.

If your scanning doesn't require listening to frequencies below about 50MHz, you could probably set up a filter to block out some of the signal.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Yeah, at minimum when the CB/amp is transmitting, it's going to cause a lot of desense in your scanner. The RF from the CB will overload the front end of the scanner enough that you won't be able to pick anything up when transmitting, which might not be a big concern.
Think of trying to listen to someone whispering from across the room while someone else is yelling in your ear…

Status
Not open for further replies.