Found my old scanner Bearcat 100

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnnystuyv

Going through my shed today and came across this. The original 100.
247b6198b8c6702ddc31d419d16914e8.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

wtp

and I

just found the schematic for it yesterday !
i had to rewire the two boards together for a friend years ago.
someone had tried and had unsoldered all the wires.
talk about a pain...

tunnelmot

Premium Subscriber
Do you remember what you paid for that? I firmly believe that we get WAY more radio than what we did in the past, even accounting for inflation. The reason I ask is I came across on old AES ad that some posted and the prices of even simple dual band radios were through the roof.

W4KRR

Premium Subscriber
I had one of the original runs of those. The early ones had a screw in antenna connector (10-32 threads if I recall correctly) that didn't allow attachment of any other antennas other than the stock duck. Later ones had the BNC connector as shown in the photo.

Also the early runs had a two piece bottom snap-on plate that held the batteries inside. The scanner didn't sit flat on the table due to the battery springs' force on the batteries pushing out on that half of the plate. This was corrected in later runs by a one piece, flat, screw-on bottom plate.

johnnystuyv

Do you remember what you paid for that? I firmly believe that we get WAY more radio than what we did in the past, even accounting for inflation. The reason I ask is I came across on old AES ad that some posted and the prices of even simple dual band radios were through the roof.

I wish I remembered but I don't. I'm sure it was more than my wife liked. .

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Nice. My Uniden BC100XLT just died a few months ago. Up until then it still worked and the battery would still charge and last about 30 minutes. Still going to keep it as I have thrown away all my other old scanners that quit working over the decades.

sdp40f500

I believe that was the first programmable handheld. I hate to say it but that was one of my least favorite radios. I haven't owned a handheld since. That may have been more due to the rather poor quality of nicad batteries at the time, but I also found that the aluminum(?) sides on my unit seemed to warp slightly out of shape. That made it much harder to screw in the bottom of the battery cover. It was the only radio I ever threw away. The SDS100 seems like it is several light years ahead in design and may get me back to the world of handhelds!

PACNWDude

Very nice to see an old handheld scanner. Sometimes it just does not seem right when people post a Pro-97 and consider it "old."
Thank you for sharing.

Status
Not open for further replies.