Sds100 on Harris P25 phase 2 multi site lsm results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

seth21w

Ok I am getting some glitches and found a few work around. I'm scanning this system
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6907

The system id flash on off continuously along with rfss id. I use simulcast site hold no change, hold on system, still flashing. I gave up on backlight and just leave on all the time. So the thing I've found to keep the system staying on one site is going to menu and setting system hold time to 240 seconds and the rfss and sys id don't flash and it misses less conversations. I have downloaded the beta firmware, no help. If anyone wants to take a look at the system I'm scanning and have any more advise, please feel free.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Ok I am getting some glitches and found a few work around. I'm scanning this system
https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=6907

The system id flash on off continuously along with rfss id. I use simulcast site hold no change, hold on system, still flashing. I gave up on backlight and just leave on all the time. So the thing I've found to keep the system staying on one site is going to menu and setting system hold time to 240 seconds and the rfss and sys id don't flash and it misses less conversations. I have downloaded the beta firmware, no help. If anyone wants to take a look at the system I'm scanning and have any more advise, please feel free.

If you want the issue fixed, read and follow the instructions in the first post of the open beta thread--record a log file and post the log, along with a description of the issue(s) captured in the log, IN THAT THREAD. Don't try to fix the problem when recording the log; logs are only useful if they document what broke.

Starting a duplicate thread just makes it harder for the Uniden folks to find and process all the bug reports.

seth21w

If you want the issue fixed, read and follow the instructions in the first post of the open beta thread--record a log file and post the log, along with a description of the issue(s) captured in the log, IN THAT THREAD. Don't try to fix the problem when recording the log; logs are only useful if they document what broke.

Starting a duplicate thread just makes it harder for the Uniden folks to find and process all the bug reports.

I want to make sure I have everything programmed correctly for this system before I do a log I'm not sure I feel confident to submit that data I've never done that before. Should the rfss id stay constant or should it blink? When system is held?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Use the full database, not custom programming. Let the scanner do what it does. The point of a log isn't to make the scanner work correctly (in the short term), it's to document what's broken so it can be fixed. The only thing you should do is hold on the system and site(s) that trigger the error.

mtindor

OH/WV DB Admin
Database Admin

But Jon, didn't you state somewhere else that this behavior was completely normal -- As long as the frequency doesn't change / disappear (in the absense of voice traffic), the on/off of RFSS / Site ID etc is just a matter of the same information being retransmitted at regular intervals on the control and the scanner redrawing that information it see it.

Either it's completely normal / expected behavior, or its a bug that needs debugged. In your mind which is it? (You will probably recall I already complained about this phenomenon).

In my mind, if you are holding on a site and you don't have anything turned on (like close call or any priority stuff), there isn't a reason on God's green earth why all of that flashing should occur. I live with it AND the scanner is working great. But the fact that the actual signal bar disappears and comes back full scale at the same time makes me think the scanner is doing something else totally unrelated to monitoring the trunked site (when in fact it should be spending 100% of its time and resources on monitoring the site and not interrupting the monitoring of the control channel to do something else).

Now, maybe it really isn't interrupting the monitoring of the control channel at all and simply appears that way with the signal bar flashing on and off. That signal bar flashing gives the definite impression that it is interrupting control channel monitoring to do something else unnecessary.

Mike

Mike

seth21w

But Jon, didn't you state somewhere else that this behavior was completely normal -- As long as the frequency doesn't change / disappear (in the absense of voice traffic), the on/off of RFSS / Site ID etc is just a matter of the same information being retransmitted at regular intervals on the control and the scanner redrawing that information it see it.

Either it's completely normal / expected behavior, or its a bug that needs debugged. In your mind which is it? (You will probably recall I already complained about this phenomenon).

In my mind, if you are holding on a site and you don't have anything turned on (like close call or any priority stuff), there isn't a reason on God's green earth why all of that flashing should occur. I live with it AND the scanner is working great. But the fact that the actual signal bar disappears and comes back full scale at the same time makes me think the scanner is doing something else totally unrelated to monitoring the trunked site (when in fact it should be spending 100% of its time and resources on monitoring the site and not interrupting the monitoring of the control channel to do something else).

Now, maybe it really isn't interrupting the monitoring of the control channel at all and simply appears that way with the signal bar flashing on and off. That signal bar flashing gives the definite impression that it is interrupting control channel monitoring to do something else unnecessary.

Mike

Mike

When I go into settings and max out system hold time at 240 seconds those two stay constant. I have only this system programmed as FL and database is turned off. This is the only system I'm working on. So I'm just confused why they blink when system hold time is set to default 0 seconds, and it's the only system scanned.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!

Per Upman, some degree of dropping the control channel briefly for housekeeping is normal. If you're not missing more than a few milliseconds of the first transmission in a conversation when doing a site hold and you don't have multiple concurrent transmissions, I wouldn't consider the blinking by itself a problem. My observation has been that if the frequency doesn't jump around when the scanner is not receiving a transmission, that late entry isn't generally an issue. But if you're having late entry issues when doing a site hold, and there aren't multiple concurrent transmissions going on, there is a problem regardless of whether the display is flashing.

If the frequency is jumping around during a site hold between transmissions, the scanner is having issues hearing the control channel and is looking for one it can hear.

Blinking indicators don't prove there is a problem, but they don't prove there isn't a problem. I assumed (I know, bad form) that there was some reception issue accompanying the blinking that the led the OP to believe that the blinking was a symptom of the problem, as opposed to being the problem itself. Regardless, recording a log during a site hold and posting the log in the beta thread with a detailed description of the issue(s) being logged is the best course of action.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
When I go into settings and max out system hold time at 240 seconds those two stay constant. I have only this system programmed as FL and database is turned off. This is the only system I'm working on. So I'm just confused why they blink when system hold time is set to default 0 seconds, and it's the only system scanned.

Increasing hold time increases the time interval between houskeepings.

When you run the log, scan fthe system from the database so there is no question of programming errors or issues.

Are you missing the beginning of transmissions or having other reception issues, or just concerned about the blinking?

seth21w

Per Upman, some degree of dropping the control channel briefly for housekeeping is normal. If you're not missing more than a few milliseconds of the first transmission in a conversation when doing a site hold and you don't have multiple concurrent transmissions, I wouldn't consider the blinking by itself a problem. My observation has been that if the frequency doesn't jump around when the scanner is not receiving a transmission, that late entry isn't generally an issue. But if you're having late entry issues when doing a site hold, and there aren't multiple concurrent transmissions going on, there is a problem regardless of whether the display is flashing.

If the frequency is jumping around during a site hold between transmissions, the scanner is having issues hearing the control channel and is looking for one it can hear.

Blinking indicators don't prove there is a problem, but they don't prove there isn't a problem. I assumed (I know, bad form) that there was some reception issue accompanying the blinking that the led the OP to believe that the blinking was a symptom of the problem, as opposed to being the problem itself. Regardless, recording a log during a site hold and posting the log in the beta thread with a detailed description of the issue(s) being logged is the best course of action.

When the backlight starts going on and off rapidly it's missing transmissions that I am getting thru on another radio. Sys ID and RFSS ID flash. I will see if I can create a log for uniden to decipher.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Does the frequency flash back and forth between the control channel freq and the voice channel freq when the backlight flickers? Try tapping the power button to force the backlight to stay on so you can see what the frequency is doing.

troymail

Silent Key
Definetly catching more audio with the sys hold time set at 240 vs 0 sec and site hold on.

Good test and confirmation. However, as is probably obvious, high (or more than is really needed) hold/dwell makes for terrible scanner when trying to scan multiple systems.

There seems to a be a long standing issue regarding Uniden's default hold time of 0 -- increasing that value nearly always seems to improve reception but it is unclear if that is simply because the radio is being given more time/chance to properly lock onto the control channel, the (internal firmware) limited time (whatever that really is at user setting 0) just isn't long enough, both, and/or other reasons.

In the past, I experimented with Whistler's default settings for hold/dwell on various system types and if I recall, performance was terrible if you tried going lower than the default values (i.e. 0.8, 1.0, etc.). In that scenario, the user is given direct access/control of the hold/dwell time - and setting it too low makes the Whistler under perform like I many times see with the x36 (and, it sounds like, the SDS).

Status
Not open for further replies.