• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XTL and XTS series radio, question

Status
Not open for further replies.

firetaz834

I know the XTS and XTL series radios are now discontinued, but what about the CPS software to program these radios, does Motorola consider these to be discontinues software?

RodStrong

I guess the actual definition of discontinued may vary, but I don't think it's updated anymore.

WB6WQF

Premium Subscriber
I know the XTS and XTL series radios are now discontinued, but what about the CPS software to program these radios, does Motorola consider these to be discontinues software?

You can still buy CPS but there won’t be any more updates. If by “discontinued” you mean “free to copy” then the answer is no.

firetaz834

You can still buy CPS but there won’t be any more updates. If by “discontinued” you mean “free to copy” then the answer is no.

Nope, did not mean that was meaning that if the radios were discontinued did Motorola not have it available for sale and support and from the answers I've seen it is available for sale, but not supported with updates.

I am obtaining several XTL and XTS models and needed to know if I could still get the programming software from Motorola.

I know some manufactures, when they discontinue a radio model, they no longer make the programming software available

Thanks again, for the answers

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
Be prepared to be completely unsupported if you are running XTL/XTS radios. I and several other users in my region uncovered a fairly significant bug/design flaw in the last version of CPS which significantly hinders the ability to program trunking systems for all but the main system admin of a system, and the response from Motorola was essentially "That sucks. Have you checked pricing on APX radios lately?"

tdeater

Jay911, can you elaborate a bit in what issue you are seeing? I have a huge fleet of XTL and XTS radios on the Michigan state wide system.

Jay911

Silent Key (April 15th, 2023)
Feed Provider
If you have an advanced system key with limited features, you essentially cannot create Trunking System definitions in your codeplug. One of the options on the ASTRO25 box on the General tab can only be used if you have an unlimited key; if you try with a limited key, you end up in an endless loop of invalid fields (between the Home System ID and Home WACN ID). Admittedly this was for a multi-SystemID Harris system, so it may be a case that affects a narrow group of users.

What the eventual solution ended up being was that we had to email our codeplugs to the main system administrators, who obviously have the ability to issue themselves unlimited access keys. They built Trunking System definitions and then emailed us back the codeplugs. Those of us who have limited keys have to guard these codeplugs with our lives; if we touch the parameters in that part of the General tab in any way, we'll get into the same endless loop of invalid fields and the Trunking System will become unusable again.

In my opinion this is a flaw in the way ASTRO25 CPS is designed. There should not be such a restriction (this field can only be used if you have an unlimited key) in the software. The limitation isn't present in APX CPS; I can (and have) created Trunking System definitions with the exact same limited ASK, all day long, in APX CPS.

Motorola seems uninterested in fixing this flaw in ASTRO25 CPS. I understand that it's past EOL, but as you say, there are thousands upon thousands of radios out in the wild that depend on that software. It would be in Moto's best interest to issue a fix and keep their customers. If we weren't willing to accept the workaround of finding an unlimited key to do our programming (for example, if we had sensitive data in our codeplug for other systems, that we weren't allowed to let the unlimited key-holder to see), Moto's only other solution - "buy an APX" - would not be something some of us could easily do.

tdeater

Well, interesting.... I am in an environment with just the 1 system, So it should not affect my fleet... Until M decides to implement some other "feature" forcing our purchase... Thanks for the info!

KE4ZNR

Radio Geek
Premium Subscriber
Jay is 100% correct below and this is why we are aggressively trying to move all of our public safety off XTS/XTL and onto APXs (6000BNs and 6000XEs). I got the same run-around from Moto here in NC that he received up North. Very frustrating.
Marshall KE4ZNR

If you have an advanced system key with limited features, you essentially cannot create Trunking System definitions in your codeplug. One of the options on the ASTRO25 box on the General tab can only be used if you have an unlimited key; if you try with a limited key, you end up in an endless loop of invalid fields (between the Home System ID and Home WACN ID). Admittedly this was for a multi-SystemID Harris system, so it may be a case that affects a narrow group of users.

What the eventual solution ended up being was that we had to email our codeplugs to the main system administrators, who obviously have the ability to issue themselves unlimited access keys. They built Trunking System definitions and then emailed us back the codeplugs. Those of us who have limited keys have to guard these codeplugs with our lives; if we touch the parameters in that part of the General tab in any way, we'll get into the same endless loop of invalid fields and the Trunking System will become unusable again.

In my opinion this is a flaw in the way ASTRO25 CPS is designed. There should not be such a restriction (this field can only be used if you have an unlimited key) in the software. The limitation isn't present in APX CPS; I can (and have) created Trunking System definitions with the exact same limited ASK, all day long, in APX CPS.

Motorola seems uninterested in fixing this flaw in ASTRO25 CPS. I understand that it's past EOL, but as you say, there are thousands upon thousands of radios out in the wild that depend on that software. It would be in Moto's best interest to issue a fix and keep their customers. If we weren't willing to accept the workaround of finding an unlimited key to do our programming (for example, if we had sensitive data in our codeplug for other systems, that we weren't allowed to let the unlimited key-holder to see), Moto's only other solution - "buy an APX" - would not be something some of us could easily do.

Last edited:

SCPD

QRT
Just to consider or think, remember that other regions such as South America, Arab Emirates, Asia, etc may still be supported by Motorola with discontinued regions however the model may say xts 2250, etc you get idea. Way the market works. The waris series and Jedi series was/ is supported in some small third world markets still just slapped with firmware or a nameplate with different model name. No difference really other than a name plate.

This isn't true for all runs but for some select models. I asked once about some trade in program if the electronics were recycled and got told they still have use in third world markets smaller hole in wall governments.

Like said you'd be on own or going to those who could service them on your own in the majority of region markets. Parts are plenty still however the question of oem is another topic. Oem parts do exist still and will for while but beware of clone products.

Mission critical has been migrating to APX line and is preferred or other vendor equivalent for upkeep in technology and service warranties.

Keep in mind I still see to date out there endless, xts3000s, waris, Jedi series in use in public safety, and other models mainly conventional systems which haven't had use or needed anything but analog in its users. I bet you will see xts and xtls out there for long time still. I see the 3000s out there also still lurking.

Status
Not open for further replies.