SDS100/SDS200: And 436 doesn't seem to pass audio on an NXDN system

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazpo

SDS100 and a 436HP

While scanning a single site of a NXDN system with an SDS100 and a 436 I have noticed something interesting. Both scanners are programmed from the same favorite list and both have the stock antenna.

At times they don't seem to be passing audio. The 436 may be passing audio and at times the SDS100 will not and vice versa. At one point my 436 monitored the whole transmission and the SDS100 dropped the audio twice while the screen indicated a good signal and a transmission was in progress.
Anyone else experience this.? I guess the issue could just as easily be on the systems side as the radios?
I haven't noticed any issues with other P25 systems I monitor with either radio

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Unless both scanners are connected to the same antenna, such comparisons don't mean much.

If you're in a marginal signal area, especially indoors, changing position a foot or two can make a big difference in both signal strength and quality, and signal bars are not a very accurate representation of either. You can't read much into the results of a comparison when separate antennas are used, especially indoors--the signal each scanner is getting is pretty much guaranteed to be different. If you're going to compare performance, use a single antenna and a splitter, so that each scanner is getting the same signal. Otherwise you're testing the antenna location more than the scanner.

Have separate profiles for the 436 and DSD100, and make sure the Target Model is set correctly for each profile. And if not running the beta firmware for the SDS100, install it; it makes a difference in decoding marginal digital and analog signals.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Whats the best way to make sure you have target profiles for each scanner? Do a read from the connected scanner, save it and name it for the date and model of scanner, and before writing to the scanner, open that profile and write it back to that scanner?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
No, it's a menu setting. Open the scanner profile in Sentinel, then Menu \ Tools \ Target Model.

srpawski

Premium Subscriber
Oh that? Ok I know about that thought maybe I was missing something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.