Bexar County Fire Alarm Paging Changes

Status
Not open for further replies.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Did Bexar County Fire Alarm recently reprogram all their paging tone out frequencies?

I'm noticing what seems to be completely different tone outs for all departments now. Granted, I haven't checked in a while so a change might have happened a while back, but just curious if anyone knows anything.

I've been using TwoToneMonitor to log all the new tone outs so I'll update all the tone outs here shortly.

Anyone know when/what changed?

Michael-SATX

We should merge / continue with original BCFA thread !

Did Bexar County Fire Alarm recently reprogram all their paging tone out frequencies?

I'm noticing what seems to be completely different tone outs for all departments now. Granted, I haven't checked in a while so a change might have happened a while back, but just curious if anyone knows anything.

I've been using TwoToneMonitor to log all the new tone outs so I'll update all the tone outs here shortly.

Anyone know when/what changed?

I just saw your new BCFA tone out thread, all seems normal except that I cannot recall any HAZMAT teams being toned out
for WMD Stations 155 (Leon Springs Based) and or 156 (Bexar Bulverde based) in over a year now maybe almost 2 years.
I have 3 Motorola Minitor IV SV pagers running 24/7, one for just Windcrest Station 145, another for just St Hedwig Station 142
and for Hollywood Park Station 129 as well as All Station Call, Rehab-149 and WMD/Hazmat-155/156. Maybe 155/156 stopped using pagers ?

We should merge these 2 BCFA threads and in the meanwhile I will once again resume 24/7 logging of
the BCFA tone outs. I stopped logging almost a year ago after not seeing anything new and got bored.

I have never used the TwoToneMonitor program. I do use the ComTekk Multi Decoder 2.03 which is far superior to the ComTekk 2-Tone Decoder II
for accuracy and Log Viewing. This program is awesome and when the "Standard" detection mode is selected the "Measured" tones are automatically
error corrected to match the valid Motorola Tone Table Chart saving both time and guess work ! (doppler effect / skewing)
Does the Two Tone Monitor program has the tone correction feature that Comtekk Multi Decoder does ?

Click on this forums thread link below and compare screen shots, ie radio button feature in Comtekk Multi Decoder for "Standard Tones" option ;)
Otherwise, all my valid Motorola Quick Call 2 chart tones & personally field tested tone out pairs in the RR Wiki will look all wrong and incorrect !

https://forums.radioreference.com/t...6234-bexar-county-fire-alarm-pager-tones.html

Last edited:

scrotumola

I've heard an increase in QCII group call tone outs for structure fires and predetermined locations deemed necessary (ie hazardous, high occupancy, schools, etc)

I've heard group calls for Leon Springs, Grey Forest, Helotes & Dist 7; St Hedwig, Lone Oak, China Grove, Harmony/Gardendale; and ESD5, Somerset, & Lytle.

Basically its a long B common tone that each of the departments share.
Obviously cuts down on time in hitting so many tones x2 for calls.

On the other hand....

Did anyone notice that BCFA DISP Tac 1 TG 1345 was silent Thursday, Friday and Saturday?
It seems no one missed it. Alerting went out over VHF (154.250) and traffic carried over the patches on the simulcast sites, yet Gold TG 1345 remained silent.

Sometime last night, it miraculously returned back to normal.

~S~

rattlerbb01

TX/LA Database Admin
Database Admin
I've heard an increase in QCII group call tone outs for structure fires and predetermined locations deemed necessary (ie hazardous, high occupancy, schools, etc)

I've heard group calls for Leon Springs, Grey Forest, Helotes & Dist 7; St Hedwig, Lone Oak, China Grove, Harmony/Gardendale; and ESD5, Somerset, & Lytle.

Basically its a long B common tone that each of the departments share.
Obviously cuts down on time in hitting so many tones x2 for calls.

On the other hand....

Did anyone notice that BCFA DISP Tac 1 TG 1345 was silent Thursday, Friday and Saturday?
It seems no one missed it. Alerting went out over VHF (154.250) and traffic carried over the patches on the simulcast sites, yet Gold TG 1345 remained silent.

Sometime last night, it miraculously returned back to normal.

~S~

Was it actively patched to another talkgroup? If a patch is active I get nothing over the primary talkgroup. Like tonight, SAFD Delta 1 and 2 are on 1283, Delta 3,4 and 8 are on 781 and Delta 5,6 and 7 are on 776. If I turn ID Search off right now on my 436, I pretty much miss out on SAFD across the board. Except for the robot on 529 Alerting of course.

While we are there, for anyone that may be or know a SAFD or Bexar Co. firefighter, where does the ACCESS thing come from, or what does it mean? I think they pretty much call those dispatch channels "Delta 1-8" but the database has them called ACCESS, and BCFA has one or two as well.

blantonl

Founder and CEO
Staff member
Super Moderator
Well, I'm an idiot.

When I fired up TwoToneFinder and let it log overnight, for some reason a bug had it doubling the logged frequencies.

So, no real changes in the tones - but I'm a capturing days of pages now to update the Wiki with the correct tones and add additional entries that I've found.

scrotumola

Was it actively patched to another talkgroup? If a patch is active I get nothing over the primary talkgroup. Like tonight, SAFD Delta 1 and 2 are on 1283, Delta 3,4 and 8 are on 781 and Delta 5,6 and 7 are on 776. If I turn ID Search off right now on my 436, I pretty much miss out on SAFD across the board. Except for the robot on 529 Alerting of course.

While we are there, for anyone that may be or know a SAFD or Bexar Co. firefighter, where does the ACCESS thing come from, or what does it mean? I think they pretty much call those dispatch channels "Delta 1-8" but the database has them called ACCESS, and BCFA has one or two as well.

The SAFD Delta channels are talk back/access to dispatcher channels. Each channel corresponds to the Battalion Chief's response area. Ergo if the call is in BC1's area, access comms can be conducted on Delta 1. If the call is in BC 8's area, access/resource comms to dispatch are answered on Delta 8, etc. The Delta Channels are patched so that instead of having 8 dispatchers on 8 consoles, they can be consolidated to lesser console(s)/manpower.

SAFD Tac channels are fireground/scene channels assigned per incident. Still Alarm calls and basic fire calls on Tac 1. EMS/First Responder and still alarm calls with more than 1 company are typically on Tac 6, 7, and 8. Heavy rescue and rollovers on 9, 10, 11. Structure Fires are usually on Tac 2 (with 3 for staging on 2+ alarms) Tac 4 ( with 5 for staging on 2+ alarms) , Hazmat on Tac 10, 11, More structures on Tac 16, 17, 21 and 22. Tac channels are typically not monitored by dispatch, with the exception of structure fire calls where there is a 'dedicated dispatcher' assigned or until released by the Incident Commander.

For Bexar County Fire Alarm, Tac 1 Dispatch is not monitored. It is considered/designated as a one-way outgoing channel only. Word on the street is that they it will soon be automated - unknown if locution or akin to SAFD's announcer.

Fire Grounds channels historically were assigned by the Commissioner Precinct number, but that quickly became untenable as Pct 1 and Pct 4 have the greatest amount of fire departments in those precincts and the highest call loads, Pct 2 has very few departments, as does Pct 3. Even with expansion to 7 Fire Ground channels, it can get messy. Unlike SAFD, as manpower and call volume will allow, the Fire Ground channels are monitored, but may be muted if conditions warrant. Remember there are not always 2 dispatchers covering BCFA 24/7, although 2 and more are the goal as schedules and budgets will allow.

Unlike SAFD, who have at bare minimum 6 dispatchers on at any given time, they do not typically monitor their Tac channels (again, except for structure fire assignments) Bexar Co Fire ACCESS is the equivalent to the SAFD Delta channels. It is ACCESS to the Fire Alarm Dispatcher. If you are needing to report and incident or request resources from Fire Alarm, those communications are conducted on ACCESS.

Fire Ops is patched to legacy VHF Tac 3 (153.770) which is especially helpful for volunteers and out of county mutual aid who do not have access to Bexar County ProVoice 800 infrastructure.

EMSTac is the channel for Bexar County fire departments respond as EMS first responders. On larger calls requiring multiple units/resources/mutual aid, a call may be assigned to a Fire Ground.

BCFA Air is reserved to Helicopter interface operations only, IE with Airlife, Methodist AirCare/AirEvac Lifeteam, PHI or HaloFlight,

Now, for grass brush fires, during wildland season, SAFD has their units respond on Mutual Aid 6 usually if the call is near a city limit. SAFD also responds to all calls in the US 281 N corridor from near Marshal Rd to the County Line and has Bexar Bulverde first respond for them. These operations are on Mutual Aid 16 and is pursuant to terms of a limited annexation agreement and in the interest of public safety. I've heard tremendous cooperation and respect in this endeavor between both departments.

Bexar County is also having their wildland and Mutual Aid responses with outside of Bexar County departments carried on Mutual Aid 5 which is patched to TX Fire Aid 21 (154.280) other wildland responses have been on Mut Aid 1.

That's all I've got for now, hope this information helps.

~S~

edit- As I write this, M14, E14 & S17 were sent to an address in Hill Country Village. SAFD/EMS provides services to the City of Hill Country VIllage and the response was on Mutual Aid 11... so add that to the list.

Last edited:

scrotumola

To add to the above list. Mutual Aid 10 is used when SAFD responds to the Toyota Plant in conjunction with Toyota Fire/Rescue.

Michael-SATX

Quad Tones BCFA Dispatch testing ?

Today BCFA Dispatch conducted a Test for Quad-Tones at 11:06am for Bexar-Bulverde Station 103/104.

It sounded like 1 low pitched solid long tone out and NOT of the 2 tone out Motorola Quick-Call II variety.

Also noted, during a later test of another dept. the dispatcher stumbled on words of Quad then said Quadra

Any thoughts of a possible BCFA Dispatch migration away from their long standing QC2 pager tone-outs ?

Well other than Converse Fire Stations 111 & 112 that briefly went to QC2 in Aug and then DTMF in Sept.

Status
Not open for further replies.