UPman - Question re tariffs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ubbe

The hardware doesn't cost much in relation to development costs and profit needed to continue business.
And then the dealers must have thier piece of the cake to finance their staff, the rent for their shop, or stock if they only do internet sales, and some profit on top of that to make it wortwhile to run a business. Any taxes added to import the scanners hardware from vietnam would hardly make any impact on the final sales price.

/Ubbe

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
I am completely unaware of any tariff anticipated for products coming from Vietnam.

tp3244

UPMan....I have to ask. Why are Uniden scanners assembled in Vietnam, of all places? I can't imagine that these scanners are products that are produced in quantities and with such margins that require labor costs of a far flung country such as this. Just curious....

Eng74

UPMan....I have to ask. Why are Uniden scanners assembled in Vietnam, of all places? I can't imagine that these scanners are products that are produced in quantities and with such margins that require labor costs of a far flung country such as this. Just curious....

Remember what happened to GRE? Their factory was in China and the factory got shut down because the land was wanted for something else by China, houses if I remember right.

RFI-EMI-GUY

I think both Thailand and Phillipines have long been hubs for manufacturing CB radios and the like. Not some new thing. I remember when Motorola opened a plant in Malaysia. That was in the late 70's early 80's.

D

DaveNF2G

I think people forget (or do not know) that Uniden is not an American company.

tp3244

Because that is where our factory is.

I'm fully aware that Uniden is a Japanese company and wasn't expecting the radios to be designed or manufactured in the USA. Just curious why the factory is in Vietnam, of all places. In my mind, at least, Vietnam isn't a country that is well known for manufacturing electronics, or much of anything for that matter besides low tech stuff like clothing and shoes....

Ubbe

Underdeveloped countries often give favourable deals to attract foreign countries to set up business with them. They often lack unions and organised groups that would demand reduced working hours and raised pays, and land and properties are often given free of charge.

They then build up their skills and knowledge base in technology and quality control that will develop the country from rise farming to advance electronics. It's a win-win situation for both parties.

/Ubbe

phask

Premium Subscriber
I'm fully aware that Uniden is a Japanese company and wasn't expecting the radios to be designed or manufactured in the USA. Just curious why the factory is in Vietnam, of all places. In my mind, at least, Vietnam isn't a country that is well known for manufacturing electronics, or much of anything for that matter besides low tech stuff like clothing and shoes....

I think you are way behind the times. Vietnam has rapidly moved into manufacturing, especially electronics.

Actually, with the equipment available today it takes little other than $$$$ to quickly establish chip placement, plastic molding and most other tools and machines needed.

I think they are near the top 10 in electronic exports.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
....In my mind, at least, Vietnam isn't a country that is well known for manufacturing electronics, or much of anything for that matter besides low tech stuff like clothing and shoes....

You can add furniture to that. Our dining room set was manufactured there, is well-built, and has lasted many years. In reality, that's the bottom line. If a product is well-made, works as designed, and lasts, it really doesn't matter where it was manufactured.

prc117f

Underdeveloped countries often give favourable deals to attract foreign countries to set up business with them. They often lack unions and organised groups that would demand reduced working hours and raised pays, and land and properties are often given free of charge.

They then build up their skills and knowledge base in technology and quality control that will develop the country from rise farming to advance electronics. It's a win-win situation for both parties.

/Ubbe

The big reason is you have near free labor (Wage arbitrage) ie: employees making 2 dollars a day. #2 no environmental laws to deal with, you can just dump the heavy metals and toxic products right in the Mekong river. No employee OSHA laws, ie no first aid kits, safety systems needed which lowers cost of production. if a 17 year old PCB cutter gets crushed, you bring in his cousin to finish the job. no pesky lawsuits etc..

The US will never be able to compete against that. We used to run our factories the same way at the turn of the industrial revolution but we moved on and now someone else takes up the slack.

prc117f

/Ubbe

The big reason is you have near free labor (Wage arbitrage) ie: employees making 2 dollars a day. #2 no environmental laws to deal with, you can just dump the heavy metals and toxic products right in the Mekong river. No employee OSHA laws, ie no first aid kits, safety systems needed which lowers cost of production. if a 17 year old PCB cutter gets crushed, you bring in his cousin to finish the job. no pesky lawsuits etc..

The US will never be able to compete against that. We used to run our factories the same way at the turn of the industrial revolution but we moved on and now someone else takes up the slack.

Only way we could compete is if we turn one state into like a Freezone complex and have prisoners build stuff (no laws etc as well)

Status
Not open for further replies.