How does the SDS100 work in Mass?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hulca

Just curious if anyone has the SDS100 and how is it working in Massachusetts????

Better/worse than the 436????

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

divison200

SDS-100 in Massachusetts

So far the SDS-100 in Eastern Massachusetts has worked fine. All audio is clear, P-25 systems and Motorola trunking systems are loud and clear. I do not listen to any nxdn, dmr systems at this time. I listen to one Pro Voice systems at this time the MBTA , loud and clear. I would rate the radio a ten out of ten. I do have the 536HP , 436HP, 992p and 325P. All fine radios, but the SDS-100 has been better than the other models mentioned.

gordon115

So far the SDS-100 in Eastern Massachusetts has worked fine. All audio is clear, P-25 systems and Motorola trunking systems are loud and clear. I do not listen to any nxdn, dmr systems at this time. I listen to one Pro Voice systems at this time the MBTA , loud and clear. I would rate the radio a ten out of ten. I do have the 536HP , 436HP, 992p and 325P. All fine radios, but the SDS-100 has been better than the other models mentioned.

Curious how the SDS-100 does on conventional channels either analog or P25. In my opinion the 436 & 536 are poor at receiving conventional UHF & VHF compared to the 996P2 and GRE scanners. My 996P2 will get a full 5 bar loud and clear signal on local FD & PD channels while the 536 will scan right over them or get a weak distant sounding signal.

Gordon

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Analog has gotten better with each firmware release. Still needs work. Conventional P25 works well. I never had any issues with analog on my x36's.

jfr

From my location, none of my other scanners will decode the 700MHz Overlay, but my SDS100 does really well.

-JR

gillham

Feed Provider
On my 436, P25 has been hit or miss listening to Cambridge on the Statewide system. I hold it on the system and it doesn't scan very well, even with the SQL set to 7. (Obviously) my APX 7000 gets it loud and clear.
I wonder if the SDS100 would be better - but with that said, I'm not sure the upgrade is worth it for me just yet.
Is the audio quality on P25 transmissions better on the SDS100? On the 436, I always feel like it's muffled.

allandunn

From my location, none of my other scanners will decode the 700MHz Overlay, but my SDS100 does really well.

-JR
Just where are you located in Massachusetts? I am in Gardner northern Worcester County and am wondering if 700MHz is available near mer. I am almost 1300 feet above sea level and should be able to hear into Boston and Pioneer Valley locations. Just don't want to update if there is nothing to monitor.

mule1075

Feed Provider
Just where are you located in Massachusetts? I am in Gardner northern Worcester County and am wondering if 700MHz is available near mer. I am almost 1300 feet above sea level and should be able to hear into Boston and Pioneer Valley locations. Just don't want to update if there is nothing to monitor.
By his profile he is located in Walpole.

allandunn

I can probably hear it up here, then. But I am not sure I want to as I no longer live/commute in that area.

Thank you for your reply.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It hasn't been widely advertised but the SDS100s ordered for Mass, require an additional update. As shipped, there are no Rs on the screen but an abundance of Hs. Once updated, "cah" becomes "car" on the screen and "Mahtha's Vineyard" becomes "Martha's Vineyard." :)

jbella

Premium Subscriber

Where in Gardner is 1300'? I can take a ride over to the general area to see what I can rx.

I live here also and have not had a sniff of the 700 in the last X number of years with the 436. That being said, in one small part of Fitchburg (not in the hills, either) I did get a sniff of it with the SDS100. On occasion at home I get the Warwick site for the W. Mass P25, and I get it a bit more with the 100.

I haven't had enough time with the 100 on the road in the area yet, but I'm having some rx issues on both the analog MSP system and the Worcester P25 system. Basically it's not performing as well as I had hoped. There are still dead spots (or simul interference spots) on Rt 2 in Westminster on the MSP system and Worcester is weirdly hot or miss in some areas. The 436 will grab some transmissions the 100 will grab some transmissions and both will grab some transmissions.

Right now, I wouldn't get a 100 for home. This far away from the 700 system, I don't know how much simulcast interference there would be all the way out here so you may get it on a 436. While Worcester technically is TDMA, only Emg Management currently have TDMA talk groups.

Status
Not open for further replies.