Athol Hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickey83

Why do no towns EMS services in the area utilize Worcester CMED to patch into here? There is a tower in Phillipston. Are they all really still using the antiquated hear VHF frequencies? I heard a unit patching on MED 8 the other day thru to Franklin loud and clear and have heard units hit repeated towers on med 4 in the area before. Thanks!

garys

Premium Subscriber
I don't know that anyone is using the HEAR system for hospital notifications. At least not in Region 2. Med 4 is repeated because it's the statewide hailing channel. As I recall, and it might have changed, the Med 4 receivers don't have PL, although the transmitters do.

In general, the Med channels are not repeated. The original system design, going back to the 1970s, was for the Med channels to operate in full duplex mode. That's why they aren't repeated, even though there is no full duplex operation and hasn't been in close to 30 years. You will hear the hospital side (463.xxx), but generally will not hear the mobile side (468.xxx) unless you are right on top of them.

Franklin is right on the edge of Region 2, but often goes to hospitals in Region 4 or Region 5. If you weren't using PL, then you might have been getting a Region 4 tower. I think Med 8 is Region 4, at least some towers is still repeated. The reasons for that also go back to the 1970s and I won't bore people with them.

If you go to https://www.cmemsc.org/, there is a lot of information on how the Region 2 system works and where the towers are located.

You didn't say where you are listening from, so I don't know what tower might be closest to you.

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I don't know that anyone is using the HEAR system for hospital notifications. At least not in Region 2. Med 4 is repeated because it's the statewide hailing channel. As I recall, and it might have changed, the Med 4 receivers don't have PL, although the transmitters do.

Region 1 - Berkshire County is still using the HEAR frequency for hospital notifications at the two county hospitals and one satellite emergency room. 155.3400 - 107.2 Simplex

garys

Premium Subscriber
Region 1 has always used the HEAR system, in part due to the difficulty getting complete coverage with the UHF CMED system. I didn't mention that because the conversation centered on a Region 2 hospital.

AFAIK 155.280 is still used for the hospital disaster network in the greater Boston area. No mobile use, just base to base.

Back to the original question. Med 3 is the primary channel used to call in notifications to Athol Memorial Hospital.

Region 1 - Berkshire County is still using the HEAR frequency for hospital notifications at the two county hospitals and one satellite emergency room. 155.3400 - 107.2 Simplex

Status
Not open for further replies.