Henry County Public Safety

Status
Not open for further replies.

If I purchase a Uniden 436 (Phase 2 capable) will I be able to monitor Henry County's new P25 Harris system provided it's not 100% encrypted? Thanks for any information you can provide! Happy Independence Day!

relicwr

Premium Subscriber
Yes, but it's simulcast which will probably lead to tuning issues. I would go for the SDS100 since a lot are saying it has very good reception.

N8IAA

If I purchase a Uniden 436 (Phase 2 capable) will I be able to monitor Henry County's new P25 Harris system provided it's not 100% encrypted? Thanks for any information you can provide! Happy Independence Day!

I'm going to break my self imposed silence to make a statement. Uniden x36HP and the new sooperdooper SDS100 have trouble monitoring Harris P-25 systems. If you want to spend $650, buy a Unication G5 with Phase II enabled.
Otherwise, it's up to you and what you want to hear and spend. It's not my money....

Larry

tncem

I have the 436HP and Ws 1080

I was receiving the simulcast with no problem, then suddenly nothing. I'm wondering if they have now encrypted their dispatch? My WS 1080 stops on everything Henry County but it shows encrypted so I know that they are there, just silent.

Casey

I'm going to break my self imposed silence to make a statement. Uniden x36HP and the new sooperdooper SDS100 have trouble monitoring Harris P-25 systems. If you want to spend $650, buy a Unication G5 with Phase II enabled.
Otherwise, it's up to you and what you want to hear and spend. It's not my money....

Larry

Larry, the SDS100 looks to be a 650 dollar turd from some remarks especially on Harris LSM...a G4 700/800 (a G5 costs more and is not necessary) can be had for 530 on sale if you search and is far and away superior if you have agencies in the clear.

N8IAA

Larry, the SDS100 looks to be a 650 dollar turd from some remarks especially on Harris LSM...a G4 700/800 (a G5 costs more and is not necessary) can be had for 530 on sale if you search and is far and away superior if you have agencies in the clear.

Just was posting info for the OP, who hasn't been on since yesterday morning. I have no need for any Unication pagers. I'm waiting to see the new TRX series later this year.
Couldn't get me to touch a x36HP or SDS 100 with a 30' pole.
Larry

Over and out.

relicwr

Premium Subscriber

Larry

Glad I won't bother with a SDS then. I'm still SDR so it doesn't really matter, just waiting on TDMA support in DSD+.

relicwr

Premium Subscriber
Who can confirm encryption on this system to have the listing updated?

EDIT: Disregard. I just noticed it was all updated this morning.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
Well there goes another system in the dark. Before too long there won’t be anything in the clear but railroads, taxi cabs and cement delivery trucks. I read last year where Columbus GA was looking to replace their radios with new ones and when the Motorola salesman left there he was going to see the City of Atlanta. All of those radio vendors are really pushing encryption. They are using the excuse of officer safety. Even though there are apps you can get on smart phones to listen in in addition to scanners I can't totally buy into that argument. They best way to ambush someone is to have then come to you. You don't have to listen in and find out where a unit is to go and do harm to the officers. All you got to do is call one and have them come to you. Encrypted transmissions won’t do anything about that. I say leave dispatch open and encrypt the admin channels, swat channels and etc. It won’t be long that these $500.00 scanners won’t be of any use except as a paper weight.

chill30240

Premium Subscriber
Yes I have them in my 436 and listen to them when I travel thru there going to my office in Canton. If only Gwinnett County wasn't in the dark. Oh well Atlanta has plenty to listen to. I'm in Orlando, FL right now and then only thing I can listen to is the Fire Dept. and ambulance traffic. Sheriff and Police are encrypted.

MTS2000des

5B2_BEE00 Czar
I'm in Orlando, FL right now and then only thing I can listen to is the Fire Dept. and ambulance traffic. Sheriff and Police are encrypted.
Spent a week at Disney Coronado Springs last month for a conference and had my BK KNGP2 on hand. OCFD is a constant grind of their FSA barking out a constant stream of dispatches ("Potentially Violent Situation" is my favorite nature code), but I was able to get a pretty good idea of how busy they are.

needless to say, I WON'T be implementing the text to speech on our dispatch anytime soon, unless ordered to do so. That voice is worse than Siri.

tncem

Initially, when they changed over, the dispatch channel was in the clear. I predicted then that when all of their new bugs were worked out of the system, the entire system would go black. I was right. In today's world of police community relations going south, one would think that they wouldn't want to operate in the dark. I agree with your tactical communications being encrypted - always. But the general stuff, no need for it ever, especially Fire/EMS. Why would Fire/EMS need encryption? Looking at some encryption articles around the US, I'm seeing that many Public Service agencies are turning their encryptions off as they have become more of an obstacle than an aid. Maybe someone in Henry county will see this as well? Doubtful, but we can hope. I am researching this further and plan to present a white paper on the matter when I am through.

tncem

Well there goes another system in the dark. Before too long there won’t be anything in the clear but railroads, taxi cabs and cement delivery trucks. I read last year where Columbus GA was looking to replace their radios with new ones and when the Motorola salesman left there he was going to see the City of Atlanta. All of those radio vendors are really pushing encryption. They are using the excuse of officer safety. Even though there are apps you can get on smart phones to listen in in addition to scanners I can't totally buy into that argument. They best way to ambush someone is to have then come to you. You don't have to listen in and find out where a unit is to go and do harm to the officers. All you got to do is call one and have them come to you. Encrypted transmissions won’t do anything about that. I say leave dispatch open and encrypt the admin channels, swat channels and etc. It won’t be long that these $500.00 scanners won’t be of any use except as a paper weight.

Initially, when they changed over, the dispatch channel was in the clear. I predicted then that when all of their new bugs were worked out of the system, the entire system would go black. I was right. In today's world of police community relations going south, one would think that they wouldn't want to operate in the dark. I agree with your tactical communications being encrypted - always. But the general stuff, no need for it ever, especially Fire/EMS. Why would Fire/EMS need encryption? Looking at some encryption articles around the US, I'm seeing that many Public Service agencies are turning their encryptions off as they have become more of an obstacle than an aid. Maybe someone in Henry county will see this as well? Doubtful, but we can hope. I am researching this further and plan to present a white paper on the matter when I am through.

Metrofire31

Premium Subscriber
Smart Phone Apps

" Even though there are apps you can get on smart phones to listen in in addition to scanners I can't totally buy into that argument." .

Can you provide specific example(s) of smart phone apps which allow us to monitor encrypted systems (assuming that is what you meant)?

Metrofire31
Franklin, NC

Status
Not open for further replies.