La Crosse City Fire TRS

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
Evening Gang,

I am trying to program in La Crosse's TRS. I am following the Radio Reference, and am not getting anything. Does anyone know if this system is used, and if so, has anyone had any luck with monitoring it?

Thank you.

putterizer

Evening Gang,

I am trying to program in La Crosse's TRS. I am following the Radio Reference, and am not getting anything. Does anyone know if this system is used, and if so, has anyone had any luck with monitoring it?

Thank you.

It still is used. I don't have a scanner that will follow it, but there is a broadcastify feed that has it and works. I was just hearing traffic on it around 17:00 yesterday.
https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/22116

KD4YGG

Database Admin
Might want to program in all the listed frequencies, not just the one listed control channel in red (I’m guessing no one has submitted any of the alternate control channel frequencies).

Let us know if you find another control channel so the database can be updated.

Last edited:

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
Might want to program in all the listed frequencies, not just the one listed control channel in red (I’m guessing no one has submitted any of the alternate control channel frequencies).

Let us know if you find another control channel so the database can be updated.

I did enter in all of them, as I figured there was some alternates... I still get "Out of Range"... Everything is entered correctly, via the RR DB.

sfd119

How are you getting out of range? You trying to do this on a radio?

sfd119

Makes sense. Either its a Phase 2 system and the DB is wrong or you're missing a control channel. You'll have to search around and figure out what the system is using.

KD4YGG

Database Admin
I did enter in all of them, as I figured there was some alternates.

Please submit the alternate control channel frequencies being utilized.

Is the system now a Phase II system ?

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
Please submit the alternate control channel frequencies being utilized.

Is the system now a Phase II system ?

I don't know what they are -- I am not able to connect to their system. If I do find out, I will submit.

putterizer

I don't know what they are -- I am not able to connect to their system. If I do find out, I will submit.

Are you trying to pickup the La Crosse system from Winona?
From what I know, it is a Phase I system, and not a II.

JT-112

I'm familiar with the area, and I thought the river bluffs might be a problem so I ran a quick coverage map for the LAX system and sure enough, there's no coverage in Winona at all.

Suggest you take the drive down to LAX to see if it starts coming in - on the Minnesota side you'd have to get to about I-90 before it would come in with any certainty.

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
Are you trying to pickup the La Crosse system from Winona?
From what I know, it is a Phase I system, and not a II.

I'm familiar with the area, and I thought the river bluffs might be a problem so I ran a quick coverage map for the LAX system and sure enough, there's no coverage in Winona at all.

Suggest you take the drive down to LAX to see if it starts coming in - on the Minnesota side you'd have to get to about I-90 before it would come in with any certainty.

I am not trying to receive it from Winona. Quite a ways too far... I am only trying to get it when I'm in the city. Still getting "Out of Range."

JT-112

Then either the RRDB or the programming of the G4 is wrong. Not meant as an insult, it's easy to transpose digits, everyone's done it.

Two thoughts:

You could create a P25 system on the G4 with the sys ID programmed, but give a search range for the control channels. That would cover the situation where the RRDB has the right sys ID, but the incorrect CC freq. Set the timeout for CC search to be a lot higher before it times out. (Edited to add: checked the RRDB against the FCC database and they agree on the CC frequencies. Make sure you enter all of them in.)

On the other hand, perhaps the RRDB has the sys ID wrong but the right CC frequencies - create a P25 system with all of the CCs but with the sys ID (and site IDs) wildcarded.

While you could both wildcard the sys ID and give a search range for the CCs, I suspect the G4 might just latch onto ARMER and stay there - but it could latch onto the LAX system too. Possibly worth a try.

Make sure you enable diagnostics in the display so you can note the CC, Sys ID and Site ID when you do latch onto the system.

Last edited by a moderator:

ryolsen8

Feed Provider
Then either the RRDB or the programming of the G4 is wrong. Not meant as an insult, it's easy to transpose digits, everyone's done it.

Two thoughts:

You could create a P25 system on the G4 with the sys ID programmed, but give a search range for the control channels. That would cover the situation where the RRDB has the right sys ID, but the incorrect CC freq. Set the timeout for CC search to be a lot higher before it times out. (Edited to add: checked the RRDB against the FCC database and they agree on the CC frequencies. Make sure you enter all of them in.)

On the other hand, perhaps the RRDB has the sys ID wrong but the right CC frequencies - create a P25 system with all of the CCs but with the sys ID (and site IDs) wildcarded.

While you could both wildcard the sys ID and give a search range for the CCs, I suspect the G4 might just latch onto ARMER and stay there - but it could latch onto the LAX system too. Possibly worth a try.

Make sure you enable diagnostics in the display so you can note the CC, Sys ID and Site ID when you do latch onto the system.

Alright -- I am in LAX as we speak, and I did wildcard the WACN and System ID: I am receiving them as DEC on my G4 and not HEX. Not quite sure how to "translate" if it's possible to HEX..

WACN (DEC): 781824
SYSTEM ID (DEC): 1759
RFSS ID and SITE ID are correct (1/1)

We're making progress... ;-)

KD4YGG

Database Admin
WACN of 781824 (decimal) translates to BEE00 (hex).
Database is correct on that account.

However...
System ID of 1759 (decimal) translates to 6DF (hex).
Database is incorrect on that note.
Will get that updated...

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.