New era Chinese vs. Shortwave portables of the 90’s

Status
Not open for further replies.

svenmarbles

Premium Subscriber
I read a lot in this forum about the Tecsun models, and they’re largely discussed positively. And as far as new production Shortwave radios go, it seems that it’s really all we have left.

But my question is,... Are buying these Chinese radios actually a better thing to do than to look to EBay for something 90’s Japanese made?

I own exclusively the latter category of Shortwave portables, some of them almost as old as I am. I have not to this point tried a Tecsun..

Am I going discover that I’ve been missing something if I buy a Tecsun 880 when till now I’m accustomed to the higher end Sony and Panasonic radios of 1995 and earlier?

shortwaver

Premium Subscriber
I read a lot in this forum about the Tecsun models, and they’re largely discussed positively. And as far as new production Shortwave radios go, it seems that it’s really all we have left.

But my question is,... Are buying these Chinese radios actually a better thing to do than to look to EBay for something 90’s Japanese made?

I own exclusively the latter category of Shortwave portables, some of them almost as old as I am. I have not to this point tried a Tecsun..

Am I going discover that I’ve been missing something if I buy a Tecsun 880 when till now I’m accustomed to the higher end Sony and Panasonic radios of 1995 and earlier?

I have owned a few shortwave radios like the Sony SW7600GR, Grundig 400, and the ATS-803a, and I think my Tecsun PL-660 blows them all away. With a simple wire antenna, it picks up a lot of traffic and has a very low noise floor.

I say just go for it, you won't regret buying one.

Boombox

The DSP chips in the new radios make a big difference. My Grundig G2 (Chinese made by Tecsun) pulls in the same SW stations off of its whip that my other, 1990's era radios pull in on a 25 ft. wire.

Now if I had a 100 ft. wire perhaps the difference would be more pronounced, in favor of the old school radios.

But DSP chips used in these new radios really have added to the hobby -- radios that perform well not only are fairly cheap but overall they are excellent performers. It's just too bad they arrived when SW broadcast is beginning to really fade and HF conditions are dipping at the same time.

2006walt

Premium Subscriber
Has anyone had experience with the newer Tecsun S8800? I read a few reviews but no one seems to own this radio. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.