Radio Go Case MK5 - July 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

pb_lonny

Over the years, while involved in the radio scanning / amateur radio / ultralight DXing hobbies, I have used a number of different bags and cases for carrying my radios and associated bits and pieces. Some of these bags and cases have worked very well, others have not for various reasons.

I have again returned to my love of portable operation, this has meant finding a suitable carry case or bag for my radios to undertaken these activities in parks and other locations plus also carrying them with me in my day to day life. I have found recently that I have come across some interesting monitoring situations but have not had my scanners with me, mostly due to my scanner carry case not being easy to carry. I have really had to make an effort to carry it with me and don't as much as I would like. Based on this I have made carrying my radio monitoring go-kit a priority. I am now undertaking more monitoring mobile while out and about.

Based on my experience in the past, I ruled out a soft bag / case, these don't stand up to daily use and carry a risk of damage to my equipment. A few weeks ago I was at Bunnings and noticed this case, for $15 it appeared to be a good size. The main advantage of this case against the ones I have used in the past is that I can keep the aerials on my radios, this has been an issue for me in the past.
Earlier this week I purchased this case and spent some time setting it up. I removed the bottom foam section and added the white foam, this is from a $2.50 kick board I found at my local reject shop.

Overall for $17.50 and an hour of my time I have a very strong case which provides a good level of protection and blends in, looking like nothing more than a tradesman's tool case . It also has enough spare space for my future needs as my radio monitoring kit grows.

Radio%2BGo%2BCase%2BMK5%2B-%2BJuly%2B2018%2B%25281%2529.jpg

Radio%2BGo%2BCase%2BMK5%2B-%2BJuly%2B2018%2B%25282%2529.jpg

rustynswrail

Paul,

Two things, ACMA are having a dummy spit on those cheap radios from China so be careful. I work in the industry and as such coming across the problem almost daily.

And secondly if you want to cut polystyrene successfully (neatly without breakaways) buy a cheap electric carving knife (check them out next time you are in K Mart), they work brilliantly. With the plus you can use it on Sunday for the roast chook.

R

pb_lonny

Thanks, mine has TX disabled per channel and also globally via the software for the VHF and UHF bands. I also don't program CTCSS tones. Mine is used just as a receiver.

I will keep that in mind for my next version :)

Status
Not open for further replies.