Pro-2006: AM Aircraft Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
For some odd reason my pro-2006 sounds off on AM aircraft. The mode is set to AM but the audio comes in crackly almost distorted on every transmission.. I am using the back of the set antenna and regular fm signals are loud n clear. I cant remember if there is an AM adjustment pot on this scanner. I have my pro-2042 running side by side with it and audio is perfect on that scanner. Its almost as if the 2006 was off frequency on AM. Any ideas guys?

Manny

wtp

probably not it but...

isn't there an attenuation switch on the back. check that.
i have a 2004 that i don't notice anything with moderate signals , just with very strong ones.

also the mil air band 225 to 400 is in FM if you meant anything in that one.

Last edited:

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
isn't there an attenuation switch on the back. check that.
i have a 2004 that i don't notice anything with moderate signals , just with very strong ones.

also the mil air band 225 to 400 is in FM if you meant anything in that one.

The switch is not a factor. I am using the rod antenna it came with so attenuating would wipe out the signal
I am trying to listen to the 118-136 civil air band only. I have other scanners dedicated to mil-air

Manny

krokus

Premium Subscriber
For some odd reason my pro-2006 sounds off on AM aircraft. The mode is set to AM but the audio comes in crackly almost distorted on every transmission.. I am using the back of the set antenna and regular fm signals are loud n clear. I cant remember if there is an AM adjustment pot on this scanner. I have my pro-2042 running side by side with it and audio is perfect on that scanner. Its almost as if the 2006 was off frequency on AM. Any ideas guys?

Manny
First the KISS questions:
Is the 2042 using a similar antenna? Are the two scanners set for the same frequency and mode? (Making sure this is not an 8.33 issue, too.)

Does tapping on the case make any change? (There could be bad connections, or maybe a bad filter.)

Sent using Tapatalk

Ubbe

Crackling sound in AM are AM modulated and that will not be heard in FM mode. It could be anything that have intermittent connection from the antenna to a solder blob on the circuit board.

Only way to find out are to bend and push on everything and use a hair blower on the circuit board or freeze spray. You have to set the squelch open and/or tune to a constant signal like an ATIS, in AM mode.

/Ubbe

Engine104

Member since 2005
I have a similar issue of "scratching" sound on my 2006 on FM on the 470 public service band. VHF and 800 Mhz are fine. I haven't been able to trace where the problem is.

bagmouse7

Premium Subscriber
I an getting poor audio as well on AM on one of my 2006s that has showed up within the last year.
I have two of them, both with OS-456s in them. These radios have been in service for many (15+ years?).
I can tell the second unit is starting to slip as well. It sounds like AM filter is spilling out of alignment.
These are dedicated airband receivers (AM only) run by Probe...

I don't have the test tools on hand to figure this out, so maybe someone here can help identify the issue?

Thanks!

vocoder

Try cleaning or replacing the volume control pot. The 2006 had a very touchy and dirt susceptible volume pot. The wiper often gets dirty causing snap, crackle, pop and noise. Ive replaced mine with a better quality part that has an o ring type seal around the shaft to keep dirt and moisture out.
I cant remember what the ohmage was

Last edited:

Ubbe

It sounds like AM filter is spilling out of alignment.

It would sound like that if the AGC isn't working properly and the amplitude are bottoming out.
It probably are a capacitor going bad but one have to find a schematic for the Pro2006 to be able to attach the correct one with freeze spray. If the OS456 has a signal strenght indicator it would probably show strange values if the AGC where off.

/Ubbe

vocoder

Yep
Had that too on the 2004
The electrolyte in some caps dried up or such and they needed replacing
Also causing volume to cut out
If the radio sits on the shelf too long, caps can start to fail

GROL

I owned a PRO-2006 many years ago. Very good radio for aircraft monitoring.

The service manual is available online. http://www.radiomanual.info/schemi/RX/Realistic_PRO-2006_serv_4.0.pdf

Looking at the block diagram I was reminded this is a triple conversion receiver. The AM and NFM (not WFM for FM broadcast) are detected after the same IF Mixer. So if receiving FM (called NFM in the block diagram) signals is not distorted then we know that things are ok out of the 3rd IF mixer. So then the problem is likely in the "AM IF AMP/Detector" circuit (Q12,13,D33), the AM AF Preamp (Q18,D34) or maybe the Switching circuit for NFM/AM that selects the detected AF to be routed to the audio output.

I think that switching circuit can be ruled out if you tune to a constant signal such as ATIS or AWOS/ASOS and see how it sounds in AM vs FM mode. If it sounds the same, maybe AM mode isn't actually being selected and the switching circuit is at fault. That circuit is controlled by the CPU, but I doubt it is the CPU, it may be any connection to the CPU. If the AM vs FM mode does not sound the same, then we are probably looking at an issue back at Q12, Q13 or Q18.

There are some electrolytic capacitors in those circuits, so as suggested by other posts, I would certainly try changing them first. Much less likely to be a transistor or other discrete component. I suppose it may be an AM detector diode, but I would go for the capacitors first and then the diodes. Checking the parts list, D33 and D34 are germanium diodes (type used as AM detectors) and they both are in the AM detector circuit.

One other thought looking at the block diagram and observing how the Zeromatic circuit gets input, I wonder if it may be improperly correcting the signal tuning. I would need to study that circuit more, but sort of looks like it could affect AM mode differently than FM mode. If you are using Zeromatic, try turning it off. If that is the culprit, just don't use it.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
but the 2004-5-6 all defaulted to FM in that range.

But it can be overridden - I did that quite successfully with my old Pro-2004. And it should be noted that the 380-400 Mhz range may have P25 trunk systems mixed in with the air band stuff...Mike

vocoder

Also, check for faulty solder joints to the antenna connects.

2006 so good at air monitoring, i built a battery pack out of travel case and lantern batteries. I made it portable with a battery control circuit to take to the airshows! The best at the airshows ever! Milair never sounded so good. It was one of the few radios at that time that you could change the mode in the 138-143 vhf milair to am

Last edited:

R0am3r

Salt Water Conch
Premium Subscriber
Try cleaning or replacing the volume control pot. The 2006 had a very touchy and dirt susceptible volume pot. The wiper often gets dirty causing snap, crackle, pop and noise. Ive replaced mine with a better quality part that has an o ring type seal around the shaft to keep dirt and moisture out.
I cant remember what the ohmage was

Vocoder - do you recall where you purchased the replacement volume control pot?

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I've poked and touched everything I can get my hands on. Nothing seems out of place. This unit has had no mods done to it. The fm and wfm work perfectly. It is NOT the audio pot. The crackling is only on one mode; AM. Dirty pots crackle on everything. Trim-pot T6 adjusts the am but I don't have the proper tools to test or realign.

Manny

vocoder

I cant say for sure on volume pot. I think newark or newark.com, as this is where myself and shop get most of those types of parts. Been some time since i had replaced but i will look around for my personal parts ordering list for the 2006. And maybe my friend will remember, he did a few 2006 s. Asking

Status
Not open for further replies.