SDS100/SDS200: Does not receive NXDN System

Status
Not open for further replies.

glenknyc

SDS100: Does not receive NXDN System

Hello,

Since I received my SDS 100, it does not receive a system that my 536 does with ease.

1) Yes, it has NXDN Upgrade
2) I have all service types selected
3) I have tried besides with an antenna on the scanner, with an external antenna on a stridsberg multicoupler that the 536 uses.
4) I have the latest Beta (released today Beta 5) and selected the Ignore NAC option
5) When scanning I see 3-5 Bars & NX4 indicated but it does not stop and never any audio.
6) Set FL to ID Search
7) Suffolk County Communications (Farmingville NEXEDGE) https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8300

I have attached debug logs & Favorites list

Thank you, any help would be appreciated

Glen

Attachments

• SDS100 NXDN.zip
    118.6 KB · Views: 23
  • NXDN FL.zip
    2.4 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

troymail

Silent Key
I see you have a quick key and tag number (21) assigned to the system but no other quick keys at other levels... it shouldn't matter but quick keys are a pain sometimes -- try removing those and see what happens....

troymail

Silent Key
Removed System Quick keys (21) and still no receive

ok - that's really all I saw - beyond that, seems like, assuming the NXDN upgrade has been enabled, I'd think a firmware issue, antenna, or perhaps more noise issues like the 436 had...

How far are you from the transmitter site? Have you tried getting closer just to see if it receives anything?

glenknyc

The two sites i'm receiving on the 536 are North Shore Towers (25 Miles) and Plainview (43 Miles) I have not been any closer yet,, will have to try that as time permits.

I appreciate your help :)

vocoder

Ive seen sds100 and x36 s display the nx4 and keep on scanning too. They never stop to decode the nxdn. Some nxdn systems work and decode as intended. The others are about the same distance and same signal strengths. I told the units where the radios are located to chime in on RR

racingfan360

When the NXDN upgrade was first released for the x36 models it was very sensitive to digital decode threshold, and modulation being set to FM. Those areas might be worth investigating. I'd also explore manually tuning the SDS100 to one of the target frequencies and seeing it it performs as you'd expect.

kma371

QRT
You say you have the FL set to ID search, but is the actual system set to ID search?

glenknyc

Yes, I’ve tried both ways ID Search & ID Scan. No Receive.

What I find interesting/ Disturbing is the 536 is programmed identically and receives this system on 2 sites with a strong signal. With the same antenna. On the SDS 100 I see 3-5 bars of signal and NX4 is displayed but it doesn’t stop or receive transmissions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
5) When scanning I see 3-5 Bars & NX4 indicated but it does not stop and never any audio.

Hmm, the system is in the database as NXDN NEXEDGE 9600 (aka NX9), and yet you're seeing it as NXDN NEXEDGE 4800 (aka NX4) on the scanner. Do you see the same system type with the 536?

If the SDS100 thinks this is a NXDN 4800 system, when it's actually a NXDN 9600 system, that could be the problem right there.

I didn't see you mention anything about using the Analyze mode on both scanners for this system, to see what that screen shows. I would definitely check both sites with both scanners in Analyze mode and note the results, as it may provide a clue. In particular, see if the 536 shows it as an NX9 system.

glenknyc

I just tried Analyze on the 536 and it reports NX4 also.
I have to admit i've not used analyze before. this system is quiet on weekends.
right now i'm seeing a close to full' 'Q', apx 1/3 on 'A' and perhaps 1/8 on 'S'

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
Full Q means the scanner is able to decode with high quality.

Okay so this is a confirmed NXDN4800 system, not 9600. I've updated the database, thanks for verifying that. Note that it shouldn't really make a difference as far as Sentinel or either scanner is concerned, as they are both programmed as a NXDN Trunk system type.

GTR8000

NY/NJ Database Guy
Database Admin
It appears that the SDS is more prone to de-sense than the 536 is. Ironically it appears to be more sensitive, as you've noted the Signal is about half with the SDS vs much lower with the 536, however it doesn't seem to be able to actually process the signal.

You said the Quality indicator is nearly full with the 536, what is it showing with the SDS?

I just read another thread where someone noted that the SDS performs much better when it's cold, vs once it gets up to operating temperature. If you want to experiment, stick the thing in the fridge for a few minutes, then put it right on the same antenna the 536 receives the system fine on, and see what happens with the S and Q bars in Analyze while it's still cold.

glenknyc

With the unit cool, the SDS100 shows virtually no 'Q' on analyze while at the same time, same antenna (on stridsberg multicoupler) the 536 shows 3/4 or more 'Q'

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Hello,

Since I received my SDS 100, it does not receive a system that my 536 does with ease.

1) Yes, it has NXDN Upgrade
2) I have all service types selected
3) I have tried besides with an antenna on the scanner, with an external antenna on a stridsberg multicoupler that the 536 uses.
4) I have the latest Beta (released today Beta 5) and selected the Ignore NAC option
6) Set FL to ID Search
7) Suffolk County Communications (Farmingville NEXEDGE) https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=8300

I have attached debug logs & Favorites list

Thank you, any help would be appreciated

Glen

According to the log, the control channel is very weak, quality is not very good.

Could you move the reception location or/and change the antenna?

25 and 43 miles is pretty far out when trying to receive most systems.

Status
Not open for further replies.