SDS100 interferes with Radar Detector

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGP

Premium Subscriber
I noticed when the scanner is on it set off my radar detector.
It varies from vehicle to vehicle with different models from constant alarm to X band detected notice
on the detector screen.

Anything I can turn off in the scanner or just the joy of electronics?
Thanks
Tom

phask

Premium Subscriber
I noticed when the scanner is on it set off my radar detector.
It varies from vehicle to vehicle with different models from constant alarm to X band detected notice
on the detector screen.

Anything I can turn off in the scanner or just the joy of electronics?
Thanks
Tom

Are you using an external antenna? Mine is less with one, but still some x-band errors.

N9PBD

Premium Subscriber
This is just a suggestion, but unless you're a 100% sure your local police are using X-Band, you should probably turn it off (if your radar detector allows that). Most agencies have retired their old, worn out X-Band and K-Band gear and moved to lighter, faster Ka, and Ku band, along with the ubiquitous Laser speed guns. With X-Band on, you're going to get a lot more false alerts from all kinds of off-the-road sources, from door openers to alarm system motion detectors.

This is a three year old article that has some good info in it: https://www.vortexradar.com/2015/11/how-to-find-out-what-radar-bands-radar-guns-and-laser-guns-are-used-in-your-area/

There's a link to a good spreadsheet (RDFGS) that has all the states and what radar bands are in use (or were in use in 2015).

gary123

better suggestion .... dont speed. LOL

seriously try and get as much separation between the antennas also try and keep the sds behind the radar detector. With the unit behind the detector stray RF has a harder time being seen, by the directional radar detector antenna.

phask

Premium Subscriber
better suggestion .... dont speed. LOL

seriously try and get as much separation between the antennas also try and keep the sds behind the radar detector. With the unit behind the detector stray RF has a harder time being seen, by the directional radar detector antenna.

Many new RD's have front and rear facing antennas, some may also have side facing. I know nine has front & rear.

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
Most agencies have chucked their old X-band and K-band gear. Make sure you turn those off on your radar detector. Also, I recommend turning on Close Call, and running the Waze app as well for countermeasures against the tax revenue agents on the road.

phask

Premium Subscriber
Most agencies have chucked their old X-band and K-band gear. Make sure you turn those off on your radar detector. Also, I recommend turning on Close Call, and running the Waze app as well for countermeasures against the tax revenue agents on the road.

I have (still) a lot of X-band, not to mention the worst ones are the small 2 man forces that only run radar speed enforcement.

K9DAK

Premium Subscriber
I know, off topic... but...

I ditched my radar detector about a month ago... so many false alarms, mostly caused by those new-fangled lane departure and radar braking and cruise control on modern cars (yes, get off my lawn!). Damn things dumb down cars so that the driver is no longer involved in the art of driving. I'll take my 6-speed manual transmission, analog gauges, and NO infotainment (except Bluetooth for mobile phone), thank you.

Did I say "get off my lawn?" :p

RFI-EMI-GUY

I would love to have a late model year Porsche 928 and retrofit a DSG gearbox. That would be all the automation required. Yes, I have driven stick for years, but nothing can beat gear changes measured in milliseconds.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

scottyhetzel

Same issue here with my SDS100 and Valentine 1 detector.

-JR

Most dept. don’t use x band, Most Police dept.dont use x band. Go into set up and turn x band off. Or program it wopith the app and the v1 dongle. This way you can block in on “L” and have it on setting “A”.

I love my v1...

scottyhetzel

I know, off topic... but...

I ditched my radar detector about a month ago... so many false alarms, mostly caused by those new-fangled lane departure and radar braking and cruise control on modern cars (yes, get off my lawn!). Damn things dumb down cars so that the driver is no longer involved in the art of driving. I'll take my 6-speed manual transmission, analog gauges, and NO infotainment (except Bluetooth for mobile phone), thank you.

Did I say "get off my lawn?" :p

Step up and buy valentine 1. It cures all your problems under junk fighter option.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
No problems with my SDS100 and my Uniden R3 detector. I have X and K bands on and haven't noticed any interference whatsoever.

Ubbe

I would love to have a late model year Porsche 928 and retrofit a DSG gearbox.

DSG and high power engines doesn't go well together. The extra gear cogs in a DSG box needs them to be thinner to fit in a normal sized gearbox and there have been numerous reports about DSG failiures.

/Ubbe

RRR

Premium Subscriber
Not so fast (pun) there is still a lot of "K band" use, the newer Genesis "direction sensing" antennas are only available in K band, and there have been a lot of those sold.

Lots using X band. ....Lots of junk. X band is very prone to undesirable interference, X band v/s K or Ka band is like AM v/s FM.

KU band in the USA? When was that authorized here? I understood it was only for Europe?

Status
Not open for further replies.