Pro 2016 question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackink

This may sound silly and I didn't see anything in the owner's manual regarding this concern: if this model scanner, the Pro 2016, stays unplugged from electricity and not turned on, are the stored frequencies erased from the scanner?

A friend of mine is concerned that he'll lose the stored frequencies if he keeps the scanner unplugged and not in use.

Thanks....
Steve

gh6406

Premium Subscriber
"I didn't see anything in the owner's manual regarding this concern"

From page 3 of the Manual:

Memory Backup — keeps channel frequencies
stored in memory for an extended
time even if your scanner loses
power.

I believe it will keep the programed frequencies for a short time, a few hours or possibly a week, But I could be wrong.

rbrtklamp2

Premium Subscriber
It will kept the frequencies stored as long as the 9 Volt battery in the rear of the unit is good. I recommend changing it out at least every 6 months if you still use the scanner daily. I know it can be a pain to reprogram especially if you have a lot of channels programmed in. I change mine yearly with my fire and c02 detectors and that seems to work fine for me. I think there may also be a flat round battery on the main board used for this purpose as well but you probably would only have to replace this every couple of years if I remember correctly. If Ibwas your friend I would open the case which isn't hard to do and locate the batteries if they have never been replaced they are due!

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Blackink

I didn't see anything in the owner's manual about a 9 volt battery in the rear.
It doesn't even mention that!.....I'm confused!

dkf435

It has a super cap in it, no 9v battery, and the one I had that was a similar lost memories after a few days of being unplugged.

David

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The PRO-2016 FCC documents are dated 1999 and the scanner appeared only in the Radio Shack 2001 catalog. Scanners of this vintage do not use batteries or capacitors for memory backup. Rather they use non-volatile EEPROMs that retain data when power is removed.

I reviewed the PRO-2016 parts list and schematic and could not find a super capacitor listed. The EEPROM in the schematic (IC8) is by MicroChip, type 24LC16BT. The chip specifications list data retention time as greater than 200 years.

dkf435

The PRO-2016 FCC documents are dated 1999 and the scanner appeared only in the Radio Shack 2001 catalog. Scanners of this vintage do not use batteries or capacitors for memory backup. Rather they use non-volatile EEPROMs that retain data when power is removed.

I reviewed the PRO-2016 parts list and schematic and could not find a super capacitor listed. The EEPROM in the schematic (IC8) is by MicroChip, type 24LC16BT. The chip specifications list data retention time as greater than 200 years.

There may be a difference in boards as I had something like the 50 channel version. But same box and same little 10v ac power supply that is hard to find.

David

pro92b

Mutated Member
Premium Subscriber
The PRO-2014 is 50 channels and uses a super capacitor for memory backup. However it runs off a 12V DC power supply, not 10V AC. Not sure which unit you are thinking of.

Status
Not open for further replies.