• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

After 35 Years........

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wibler

I am having a CB installed tomorrow! Looking forward to getting out onto Interstate-64 and Interstate-69 to see if anyone is on the bands!

r/Mike

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I hope you're not disappointed. CB use is spotty, at best, pretty much all across the country. Trucks on the two interstates might give you something.

spongella

Premium Subscriber
Great idea. Lots less chatter than 35 years ago. One thing that hasn't changed is that when the band is open, you will hear lots of signals. And one thing that has changed, the FCC recently rescinded the 150 mile rule so now you can talk DX. Have fun.

Wibler

As soon as I pulled out of the parking lot at the place where I had the CB installed I heard people on Ch 19. And I asked for a few radio reports on the way home and got good reviews.

Its only been a few hours but so far it doesn't look like the CB Radio hobby is dead after all here in SW Indiana.

r/Mike

Michael-SATX

"Key Up" : Breaker Breaker for that SW Indiana Man Mike ...

Tell us about your newly installed equipment setup and please give kudos to your radio shop used ?
Vehicle Model ?
Antenna Model ?
CB Radio Model ?
Antenna Placement ?
SWR tuned and tested ?
CB Radio Shop Company ?

OK Good Buddy back at you ;)

Wibler

"Key Up" : Breaker Breaker for that SW Indiana Man Mike ...

Tell us about your newly installed equipment setup and please give kudos to your radio shop used ?
Vehicle Model ?
Antenna Model ?
CB Radio Model ?
Antenna Placement ?
SWR tuned and tested ?
CB Radio Shop Company ?

OK Good Buddy back at you ;)

Ok, here you go.

Tom's CB and Car Audio store in Mt. Vernon, Indiana.
2013 Ford F150
Firestick antenna
Uniden PC68LTX
Right behind the driver, bracket on the metal edge of the bed.
Dunno
Dunno

r/Mike

SCPD

QRT
I just returned to CB, and unfortunately here is South Texas, radio, all kind of bands frequencies, is dead. Nobody uses it any more, so I'm a little feeling like an idiot trying to run cassettes tapes in 2018. Seems Internet and Cell phones killed radio for good, at least here in deep South Texas...

FiveFilter

Plenty of truckers still have CB on board. However, many of their radios are turned down or turned off until they see a traffic hold-up or something unusual. Then they'll often tune in CB Channel 19 to find or report what the problem is and what might be done to avoid it.

The CB is not so much a hobby for truckers anymore or as much a means to communicate socially. For that, cell phones and satellite radios and the Internet when parked take care of that. Nowadays, for many truckers, CB is more of a tool to help them with traffic conditions and at loading docks etc. It's still the best thing available for that type of worthy assistance.

Perhaps the biggest problem with using the CB today for any serious purpose are the mentally and/or emotionally ill and/or extremely lonely misfits who are sometimes heard on the air trying to fill the voids in their lives and in the process trying to make everybody else as miserable as they are. Usually you can't hear them but for a few miles unless you take the proactive step to squeeze them out with that wonderful knob called squelch.

TheSpaceMann

Plenty of truckers still have CB on board. However, many of their radios are turned down or turned off until they see a traffic hold-up or something unusual. Then they'll often tune in CB Channel 19 to find or report what the problem is and what might be done to avoid it.

The CB is not so much a hobby for truckers anymore or as much a means to communicate socially. For that, cell phones and satellite radios and the Internet when parked take care of that. Nowadays, for many truckers, CB is more of a tool to help them with traffic conditions and at loading docks etc. It's still the best thing available for that type of worthy assistance.

Perhaps the biggest problem with using the CB today for any serious purpose are the mentally and/or emotionally ill and/or extremely lonely misfits who are sometimes heard on the air trying to fill the voids in their lives and in the process trying to make everybody else as miserable as they are. Usually you can't hear them but for a few miles unless you take the proactive step to squeeze them out with that wonderful knob called squelch.
Some of those crazies gave gone on to ham! :) https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/14747

KG4EMJ

Good to hear. I was watching a video last night where a guy installed his first CB into a new Jeep Wrangler he just bought. He then make an 1,100 mile trip across much of the nation and he said that he got very very little response on channel 19. That sounded to me like the CB hobby is dying. From what you're saying, maybe it's still alive in certain regions of the nation.

So, what are truckers using to communicate with other drivers out on the road these days?

swen_out_west

To add to spacemanns comment. Around Ridgecrest, CA they have moved on to being licensed Hams and putting up illegal simplex repeaters and jamming licensed GMRS that interfere with their lawlessness/mentally disturbed behavior trying to turn the GMRS/FRS band into CB.

Broadcasting White Supremacy rhetoric, racial slurs and language that makes this retired Navy Sailor blush with shame at 8 watts out of a 50 foot 6 db antenna on FRS channel 3 so the entire city of Ridgecrest, CA and surrounding areas up to 15 miles away can hear them.

Yes: I have filed complaints with the FCC, even got kicked off of MyGMRS.com when I informed them about the listing of some of them on their site, so would be more than happy to share their call signs via PM if you want them.

Point being is I hear these comments like you made regarding CB'rs and even hear the wannabe renegades make them, but before you criticize the CB, police your own. Of the illegal activity on PRS (CB/FRS/GMRS) and problems of the sort you pointed out I would be safe to say over 75 percent of it is by licensed Hams.

Last edited:

swen_out_west

Now to stick with the tread, welcome back. Yes, it is sporadic at times and you will find that drivers pretty much ignore you unless of course you say something that they just have to come back on,.

Ex. I was driving across the country (2500 mile trip one way) and both times I had very few comebacks, I had a bunch of skip from TN, (it appears CB is alive and strong down that way). I was in Salt Lake and came on 19 with the comment 'You would think with all these Mormons in Utah, it would be better driving through Salt Lake.'. I had 5 drivers come back to me and had a 15 minute conversation with one, lol.

FiveFilter

I sometimes call out on Channel 19 about a cop working radar at or near a specific mile marker just to liven-up an otherwise dead band. I'm not really condoning speeding or trying to protect those who do, and with 75mph limits there's probably not much of it going on with the truckers anyway, but sometimes I get bored. Occasionally I'll get a response asking for specifics such as what type of cop it is, but usually no response. That's OK with me.

Of course, I always note on 19 any traffic hazards I see or something that is causing a backup. Again, I get an occasional question or a "thank you driver," but usually only the crickets seem to voice a response. Again, that's OK with me.

Even radios and their proud antennas need a little exercise once in a while, and I aim to give it to them.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have a Cobra everything-in-the-mic CB but it usually stays packed away in the car. I quit using it because it got in the way since there was almost no one to talk to anymore. I'm retired and in the last decade or so I've probably done over 100K miles throughout the country. At first, I kept the CB accessible. When I finally woke up and realized there was almost no one out there, I put it away. I can drag it out if I need it.

On a side note, I also have a ham radio and it's not much better. Before I start out on a trip, I program it with the appropriate frequencies that I find in RepeaterBook (2m and .70m only). It's not the greatest source but there are many sources out there. Anyway, the repeaters are out there but come-backs are rare, maybe one in every 10 or 15 repeaters. Even then, I don't get to talk long because at highway speeds, you can be out of range very quickly.

Thank goodness for satellite radio.

Status
Not open for further replies.