• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Out of range?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifeson

Premium Subscriber
I have a G5 I have notice a flashing red light once in a while on the display. It was so quick I videoed it with my phone so I could see it. When someone is talking it flashes “out of range” very quickly. I don’t think I’m missing any convo. I did the phase 2 update. This is on phase 1 in central Ohio.
Thanks for any help.
Danny
K8ZA

lexmedic157

I have a G5 I have notice a flashing red light once in a while on the display. It was so quick I videoed it with my phone so I could see it. When someone is talking it flashes “out of range” very quickly. I don’t think I’m missing any convo. I did the phase 2 update. This is on phase 1 in central Ohio.

Thanks for any help.

Danny

K8ZA

The flashing red light every minute is normal. The out of service, curious.

ScottPDX

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for any help.
Danny
K8ZA

I’m super new to this, but before I got a working P25 trunked system, I had entered the RFSS and Site ID incorrectly and my result was seeing the “Out of Range”. Once I corrected that, it went away.

In case it helps...

ScottPDX

tp3244

Only time I've seen "out of range" is if I place the unit in a certain spot in my house that is behind a steel door that effectively blocks all reception. Otherwise I do not see it.

Could be your unit is legitimately losing reception. Do you see this only when the unit is in certain locations, or everywhere?

If you've entered the site ID, etc incorrectly you will see a hard "Out of range", all of the time. I'm guessing what the OP posted is not that.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Out of Range?

I have YET to see a Unication G4/G5 actually (out of range) They have incredible range. What I found right away was if I knew I should be in range *even according to the RANGE maps in the RRef database for the SITE? it means the pager is programmed WRONG in the PPS. I've seen that happen over and over with each new "lucky" user. REVIEW your RFSS and SITE numbers listed in RREF for the P25 SYSTEM and make sure you have the right SYSTEM ID and WACN
RFSS
SITE #
SYSTEM ID
WACN
I wouldn't be surprised if that's the issue. Was for me when I first learned to program in the PPS and learned where each one goes on the form. If I've seen it once, I've seen people post this same issue more than a dozen times. I'm getting SITES from 30 miles away with an small indoor antenna. So (out of range) is rare unless you really are a LONG, LONG way away from the SITE. Review the Youtube videos on how to program those at Unication's Youtube page.

Last edited by a moderator:

NC3Z

What time constant do you have for you Out of Range alert? I had to increase mine to 60 seconds or more since it looses signal often where i am at.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
provide us a link to the trunking system in question so we can better help you figure this out of range issue out.

scan18

Premium Subscriber
I just want to chime in and say that I have seen the same very quick out of range red banner at the end of some transmissions. It only happens sporadically and I am most definitely within range (maybe 200 yards from the site). The site settings are all correct, transmissions are clear and perfect. I never get the “actual” out of range alarm.

As the OP stated, I don’t think it is really a problem, it’s perhaps just a display glitch. In fact, days will go by where I don’t see it it all.

seth21w

Ive had this same thing happen once, i believe it to be a bug/glitch. As i was recieving full bars and audio good but it would flicker out of range. I want to say it was after i removed the antenna and put back on with the unit on it started. I just reset the unit by writing back to radio the code plug to reset.

jwoody062

Premium Subscriber
just adding my 2 cents,I just got my G5 and drove about 25 miles and my out of range came on briefly as i was pushing the limits with only the stock antenna,this G5 is the best radio for P25 systems,it worked flawlessly

N6ML

Mine does this too (Phase II firmware). I don't know what initiates it (perhaps actually going out of range) ... but it gets into a state where it's working OK, except that the red "out of range" banner (sometimes) flashes up for a few milliseconds when the display is switching between the home screen and "Receive Voice Call".

Status
Not open for further replies.