Will Columbus ever upgrade to Phase II

Status
Not open for further replies.

baj76

Uniden fanboy
I'm thinking about buying a Unication G4 Single Band Phase I pager, Will Columbus upgrade to Phase II anytime soon?I hate to waist my money

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Well eventually, as far as I understand, everyone will. Just a matter of when Phase II becomes the new industry “standard”. Just like how 10 years ago, half of the agencies I listen to were still using VHF/UHF conventional.

It’s gonna happen, but I haven’t heard of a timeline for when that will actually happen. MARCS as it sits today is Phase II ready, however everyone on the system is currently using Phase I.

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Well eventually, as far as I understand, everyone will. Just a matter of when Phase II becomes the new industry “standard”. Just like how 10 years ago, half of the agencies I listen to were still using VHF/UHF conventional.

It’s gonna happen, but I haven’t heard of a timeline for when that will actually happen. MARCS as it sits today is Phase II ready, however everyone on the system is currently using Phase I.

Actually MARCS isn't Phase II ready (despite what Unitrunker-type programs report); it's Phase II capable. To make it Phase II ready would require system-level upgrades to the master site and zone controllers, as well as to every site controller and repeater. Every Phase II ready subscriber unit would also have to be touched and the affected programming changed.

Big job. Not quite a forklift upgrade, but it's darn close.

I have to concur with Troymail, though; if the Phase II upgrade is free for the asking right now, grab it. Never hurts to be prepared.

fyrfyter33

Actually MARCS isn't Phase II ready (despite what Unitrunker-type programs report); it's Phase II capable. To make it Phase II ready would require system-level upgrades to the master site and zone controllers, as well as to every site controller and repeater. Every Phase II ready subscriber unit would also have to be touched and the affected programming changed.

Big job. Not quite a forklift upgrade, but it's darn close.

I have to concur with Troymail, though; if the Phase II upgrade is free for the asking right now, grab it. Never hurts to be prepared.

This will ultimately be the big holdup. Phase II is a huge undertaking.

The state level stuff is enough, but there is still an absurd amount of XTS/Spectra+ radios still in daily use across the state. APX mobiles and portables still cost about $4k/ea with the minimal Moto discount price.

Until this changes, Phase II isn’t even a viable option. Too many small agencies that don’t have $500k laying around for all new radios.

mszabo2000

The state level stuff is enough, but there is still an absurd amount of XTS/Spectra+ radios still in daily use across the state. APX mobiles and portables still cost about $4k/ea with the minimal Moto discount price.

Until this changes, Phase II isn’t even a viable option. Too many small agencies that don’t have $500k laying around for all new radios.

You're correct, many XTS/XTL radios in use that don't support TDMA. However, the system can support both FDMA and TDMA assigning channels based on the radio's capabilities. The only reason to move to TDMA is channel loading. If a site is experiencing significant system busies and additional channels can't be added, moving to TDMA is one solution. Another is addressing the quantity of talkgroups in use at a site.

fyrfyter33

You're correct, many XTS/XTL radios in use that don't support TDMA. However, the system can support both FDMA and TDMA assigning channels based on the radio's capabilities. The only reason to move to TDMA is channel loading. If a site is experiencing significant system busies and additional channels can't be added, moving to TDMA is one solution. Another is addressing the quantity of talkgroups in use at a site.

I’d be shocked if the bonk busy tones were a frequent occurrence anywhere in the state.

One time I can remember them happening with frequency was the windstorm of 2009, when Hurricane Ike’s remnants caused a mess of Ohio.

One time in many years, makes me think that the system has plenty of capacity.

Pezking

MARCS-IP is is using 700MHz control channels. The Astro Spectra Plus isn't capable of 700MHz. Even though the AS+ is technically an ASTRO25 radio, it isn't capable. Neither is the XTS3000 or Astro Saber. They don't do 700 MHz.

You are probably thinking of XTL5000s with the W-series control head.

fyrfyter33

I’m not. We still have numerous Spectra+ radios in service all over Hamilton County.

I should know. I’m responsible for the radios in my department.

We use 800MHz control channels down here.

Last edited:

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
MARCS-IP is is using 700MHz control channels. The Astro Spectra Plus isn't capable of 700MHz. Even though the AS+ is technically an ASTRO25 radio, it isn't capable. Neither is the XTS3000 or Astro Saber. They don't do 700 MHz.

You are probably thinking of XTL5000s with the W-series control head.

There are a number of sites which are 800 MHz only and which older, 800 MHz only radios can use perfectly well. Pickaway County still has a pretty fair number of older Harris radios in that situation.

He was referring to the XTS/XTL radios in the context of Phase II, which is the topic of this thread, not frequency usage.

phask

Premium Subscriber
There are a number of sites which are 800 MHz only and which older, 800 MHz only radios can use perfectly well. Pickaway County still has a pretty fair number of older Harris radios in that situation.

He was referring to the XTS/XTL radios in the context of Phase II, which is the topic of this thread, not frequency usage.

Need a MARCS PH2 sticky

wa8pyr

Technischer Guru
Staff member
Lead Database Admin
Need a MARCS PH2 sticky

If we get enough sustained discussion that a thread of several pages results, we'll give it some thought. However, so far the topic hasn't been particularly hot, and since it's not going to happen any time soon, there's not much point in such a sticky.

fyrfyter33

If we get enough sustained discussion that a thread of several pages results, we'll give it some thought. However, so far the topic hasn't been particularly hot, and since it's not going to happen any time soon, there's not much point in such a sticky.

That seems to be the way most of the Phase 2 discussions end- not anytime soon.

I don’t think most realize without looking past their specific area, just how much old gear is still in use.

Without government grants to buy new stuff, this won’t change quickly anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.