Body Cam pursuit video

Status
Not open for further replies.

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
The only time i heard him not access the system was when he was trying to key over another user talking.
Thats a feature set not a failure or problem. I only watched it once so maybe i missed other times.

com501

Officer could use some practice on magazine changes. Good job shooting through the windshield.

Matakovich1

During the chase at one point he said switching to D Tac. He may of had the car radio on one ch and his portable on the Tac Ch.

Hooligan

Officer could use some practice on magazine changes. Good job shooting through the windshield.

Commando501: As soon as you get back to Nevada from your DEVGRU black-ops in Tehran, maybe you can track him down & share some of your skillset with him. You're always a cornucopia of wisdom, and so eager to share!

Last edited:

Hooligan

Saw this on Fox news from LV Metro. Great job by the officer, but the radio?? Notice, car radio failed and had to use the HT. Notice a few times transmissions were blocked by the system.

I disagree with your assumption that the mobile radio failed. I believe that with his shoulder-mic being in a fixed position attached to his body, he realized that the mechanics involved with grabbing it while everything else was transpiring was much easier than feeling around (or taking his eyes off the action) for the mobile microphone.

On another LVMPD communications note, especially for those of us who've heard plenty of pursuits terminated by a supervisor due to reckless driving by the suspect, did anyone else notice how the officer didn't mention the suspect driving into opposing-traffic? Sure, maybe he thought that with everything else going-on, that wasn't a big deal. But I have to wonder if he'd broadcast the reckless driving the suspect was doing & rather busy street conditions, his Field Supervisor, Area Command OIC, or LVMPD Watch Commander might have told him to terminate, and perhaps that was a factor in him not mentioning pursuit conditions other than the obviously critical "shots fired." As much as I support LE, I suspect plenty of agencies will end up using this video as an example of what not to do, or at-least to generate a healthy pro & con discussion.

Hooligan

During the chase at one point he said switching to D Tac. He may of had the car radio on one ch and his portable on the Tac Ch.

DTAC = Downtown Area Command (a dispatch channel).

I would hope that during a very dynamic, high-risk pursuit & shots-fired, no one actively involved is going to be fiddling with a radio to switch channels, & I suspect that policy is not to do so - Dispatch can do it remotely if absolutely necessary. However, monitoring your Area Command Dispatch channel on your handheld & monitoring a nearby Area Command Dispatch channel on an alternate radio (mobile) is something that at-least some officers in *that* area do because the area borders on two Area Commands (DTAC & SEAC) & something that pops-off in one can easily & quickly move to the other.

Whatever the case was, I'm glad he didn't have to deal with an issue of feedback if both his portable & mobile were on the same channel.

Last edited:

Matakovich1

In that are you have Downtown, little sliver of Northeast, South east and North Las Vegas. But Metro from what I have been told cant monitor North Las Vegas. But over all the officer did a great job. They did mention metros policy of shooting from a car during the media briefing. With the way they where shooting and driving the officer made a judgement call and did what he did. Just think of how man people could of been hurt from the suspects shooting at the officers. 34+ rounds fired and only 5 hit metro cars. Where did the other 29+ land. The suspects had no concern for the publics safety. Not to mention they hung around in the area for 2 hours after their first shooting. What did they think was going to happen. 2 felons off the street. Awesome job LVMPD!

fredva

Feed Provider
On another LVMPD communications note, especially for those of us who've heard plenty of pursuits terminated by a supervisor due to reckless driving by the suspect, did anyone else notice how the officer didn't mention the suspect driving into opposing-traffic? Sure, maybe he thought that with everything else going-on, that wasn't a big deal. But I have to wonder if he'd broadcast the reckless driving the suspect was doing & rather busy street conditions, his Field Supervisor, Area Command OIC, or LVMPD Watch Commander might have told him to terminate, and perhaps that was a factor in him not mentioning pursuit conditions other than the obviously critical "shots fired."

Perhaps the circumstances - murder suspects shooting at police - overrode any possibility of terminating the pursuit. A supervisor calling off the pursuit of somebody trying to avoid a speeding ticket due to reckless driving is one thing, this was on another level. I don't know what Las Vegas policy is, but I think terminating the pursuit of an armed carjacker or murder suspect would be unusual in most places.

Jace1986

I just wanted to say the officer displayed some major intestinal fortitude and I commend him on his abilities. He was driving (with pretty decent due regard for the public, clearing intersections, etc) communicating on his radio (giving out direction of travel and locations, descriptions of the suspects, looking out for his partners, etc) and ultimately he continued to press and dominated the fight.

In response to shooting through his windshield, etc. If you slow down the frame and watch you can actually see the passenger leaning over the center console about to shoot, which is when the officer started firing.

In response to the comments about his magazine change. #1 all of this was under REAL stress not stress inoculation in training. I understand where you are coming from, but lets break this down for a second. He was putting his vehicle in park, opening his door, and communicating on his radio in-conjunction with his magazine change. Let be honest, how many training programs are teaching you to do this? So agreed he needs to work on his magazine changes under real life circumstances in which he encountered, but lets take his "issues" and all of us learn from it.

Anyways, I personally believe this officer did an outstanding job.

Wilrobnson

Rock or Something
The guys on that YouTube channel are def not MMQB's. Their videos are pretty informative at breaking down shootings. I wouldn't discredit what they are saying.

https://activeselfprotection.com/our-owner-and-founder-john-correia/

Yup, I read his bio before I posted. 6 years as a Navy nuke tech and lots of training. When's the last time he was shot at? The last time he was in an OIS/pursuit or had an adrenaline dump outside of a range or dojo? Ever heard a shot fired in anger?

At least he has a popular YouTube channel.

#MMQB

kma371

QRT
Yup, I read his bio before I posted. 6 years as a Navy nuke tech and lots of training. When's the last time he was shot at? The last time he was in an OIS/pursuit or had an adrenaline dump outside of a range or dojo? Ever heard a shot fired in anger?

At least he has a popular YouTube channel.

#MMQB

Yea ok.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
Very easy to armchair quarterback. The officer was in a lethal encounter under a high amount of stress, multitasking driving in a pursuit through traffic as primary while getting shot at, calling out the pursuit on the radio, then returning fire. His adrenaline was pumping, so any internet critique of his mag change when he was likely experiencing high stress, reduced motor function/coordination, audio exclusion, compressed time perception, and tunnel vision is total BS,

He performed admirably on all counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.