123.95 MHz aero band

Status
Not open for further replies.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
I am hearing one of the BDL approach/departure frequencies on a portable scanner in the Farmington/Plainville/Bristol area. Since this is too far from BDL, I suspect it’s only the planes I’m hearing and not the airport side of the exchanges. That is, until today, when I heard both sides of the conversations. Either I’m experiencing a band opening or Robertson Airport in Plainville is simulcasting? I doubt simulcasting is the answer however... rebroadcasting on the same frequency would cause interference? Creating heterodyning?

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
Probably an remoter transmitter/receiver site. Not uncommon anymore, especially in areas where TRACONs serve multiple outlying airports or have expanded airspace. Same way the EnRoute Centers have remoted radios.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
New York Approach has a frequency 124.075. All aircraft departing CT heading south check in to this frequency almost as soon as they are airborne. At my home, less than 10 nautical miles from Sikorsky airport, with an outside antenna I can barely hear it. However, if you go onto the Sikorsky Memorial Airport property in Stratford, you will hear this frequency just as clear as the tower. They obviously have a remote transmitter there.

Manny

Status
Not open for further replies.