• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

How many channels do Kenwood radios scan

Status
Not open for further replies.

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
Hello, generally how many channels do Kenwood radios scan? I know Moto can only do 16 per group. Thanks

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Depends on the model.

Just what's here in front of me.
TK-3180, ability to scan all programmed channels.
NX-x10, ability to scan all channels or talk groups
TK-5210, 16 lists of 31 members.

Baker845

Most all of the newer kenwood radio's you can scan more then 16 channels.

Last edited:

needairtime

You need a radio from this century.
Alas, it proves the point to the OP that not knowing a model number or at least a class of radios, the question posed cannot be answered :D

(and possibly some time in the future with a home designed microcontroller, the poor old TK810L may scan someday :))

JASII

Memory Capacity
How Many Channels Do Kenwood Radios Scan

Hello, generally how many channels do Kenwood radios scan? I know Moto can only do 16 per group. Thanks

What specific Motorolas are you referring to? Are you referring to conventional channel scan or trunked talkgroup scan?

RadioChief55

Feed Provider
As far as Moto, I have a CDM1250 and MCS2000. I want to look for a newer/used Kenwood radio. Does Kenwood make a dual band VHF/UHF that operates outside of the HAM band? If so, any recommendations? Thanks

domes

As mmckenna suggests, if you are talking about a Kenwood built in this century, the correct answer is "all of them" - or at least all in one zone. Some hi end models can scan across zones and multi-deck can scan across decks - if radios are programmed properly. The radios can have fixed scan tables or front panel selectable channels. The new NX-3xxx and 5xxx series will "scan" up to all nexedge group ID's programmed, although you don't really scan ID's, the radio is reading the CC data stream and responds to the data.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
As far as Moto, I have a CDM1250 and MCS2000. I want to look for a newer/used Kenwood radio. Does Kenwood make a dual band VHF/UHF that operates outside of the HAM band? If so, any recommendations? Thanks
There is no true dual band, but you can get a single or dual head, dual deck nx5000 series.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
As well as single/dual head and 1, 2 or 3 decks. It'd be expensive, but you could build a radio that would do:
Low band VHF (soon...)
VHF
UHF (380-470 or 450-520)
700-800MHz
Analog
DMR and DMR Tier 2
NXDN and Type C trunking
P25, Phase 1, Phase 2.
FPP
4000 channels per deck.
And probably more other features than you can legally shake a stick at in most states.

On the EF-Johnson model, you can do up to 4 RF decks, but they don't support NXDN or DMR.

The RF decks are supposed to be released with 100 watt models on the VHF and UHF side, soon. Right now, they are 50 watt VHF, 45watt UHF (either split), 35 watt 700-800.

The Low band deck is in response to the retirement of the TK-690, and wouldn't be surprised to see it show up in California Highway Patrol use soon.

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
Cross your fingers for a mid power 60-70W low band (ala 6110)... I know I can dream but there's still quite a few customers out there on low band who will never change, and the CDMs are starting to die (and there are still Maxtracs out there too)

The 10 series (TK-5210/5710 etc) will do multiple-zone scan, meaning it'll scan all the channels in the radio just like most every four digit Kenwood.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
Cross your fingers for a mid power 60-70W low band (ala 6110)... I know I can dream but there's still quite a few customers out there on low band who will never change, and the CDMs are starting to die (and there are still Maxtracs out there too)

The 10 series (TK-5210/5710 etc) will do multiple-zone scan, meaning it'll scan all the channels in the radio just like most every four digit Kenwood.
The nx5600, from what I have heard, will be a NXDN / Analog radio, no dmr or p25 for it, YET....... And I heard it will slide 5 meg up into 6 meter. Heck yeah. Just have to accept the out of band little tag when you hit enter.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
The nx5600, from what I have heard, will be a NXDN / Analog radio, no dmr or p25 for it, YET....... And I heard it will slide 5 meg up into 6 meter. Heck yeah. Just have to accept the out of band little tag when you hit enter.

That is good to hear, and what I expected from those guys.

Eventually I'll want to replace the old CDM-1550 I have in my personal truck. Not sure if I'll add 6 meters, but I'm waiting for a good NX-5700 to hit the used market. We've got a few at work, and I like them.

kd4efm

Premium Subscriber
That is good to hear, and what I expected from those guys.

Eventually I'll want to replace the old CDM-1550 I have in my personal truck. Not sure if I'll add 6 meters, but I'm waiting for a good NX-5700 to hit the used market. We've got a few at work, and I like them.
Lol, used..... maybe I will hit you up when the high power hits the market. Sucks I have to buy p25 and dmr twice again...

KK6ZTE

Premium Subscriber
You can always check the R-stock (Refurbished) inventory at Kenwood. That's an extra 15%

Status
Not open for further replies.