BCD396XT/BCD996XT: Radio has stopped receiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcgama

Friend, I'm having trouble that happened "out of the blue" on my Uniden BCD996XT scanner. He stopped receiving, he's 'deaf'. I did a test with another radio receiver that I have and I put both on the same frequency, however my Uniden scanner does not receive, and already in my other receiving radio I receive. And this happened out of nowhere. Once I turned the radio on and his display "blinked," and turned the radio on and off. After a few minutes I called again and the radio did not call anymore. After a few hours I was able to turn on the radio but it did not receive any more frequencies. He is deaf, receives nothing. What can it be?

Thanks a lot for the help, :)

Ubbe

As it works ok on 28MHz but not 144MHz it most likely is a problem with that filter 137MHz-255MHz. If you put that telescope antenna on it you probably will receive a faint signal.

Could you also do a test at 435MHz?

The whole front end filter is protected with a resin glue to stop us from tampering with it.
It is probably too costly to ship it back and forth to Uniden so better to use a cheap BCT15 for the 2m band.

/Ubbe

W1KNE

Owner ScanNewEngland
Database Admin
I've had three 996XT's go deaf on me (one was my own, two were at work). All three that were sent to the factory for repair, had the same IC replaced and it came back like new.

JamesO

I had a used 996XT that would not power up with the wall wart, seemed to attempt to boot and crash. Ended up using the 3 pin car power adapter and a 3 Amp power supply, was able to get the radio to boot but it was not happy.

Same problem, worked 28 MHz and below, deaf above. As mentioned above there is some chip that shorts internally and then fails is what I believe is going on.

Maybe the above poster has the repair info with what chip was replaced, I was unable to find my notes with the chip number than failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.