Plessy PTR1851A

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I don’t know where to post this, so I guess I’ll post it here.
I recently bought one (out of curiosity) on eBay. I can’t find much online about it. It is a small, VHF man pack-style transceiver with a very small LED display on top. When I hooked it up to a standard 6 volt lantern battery, the display comes on and says “0”. I can’t get it to do anything else. Anyone have any information about this radio?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

That radio, if you have it all, requires 28 VDC to operate.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
I think I should have posted a photo of the radio in question.
41f5f30e1ee5073b77c1e30c80cbbd29.jpg
e71a4493ecdb034ee89cf5586412c7fc.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RFI-EMI-GUY

Oh quite a rare beast. Apparently capable of 16 kbps encryption! A keeper. The zero might indicate that it is zeroized, no encryption Key.

Probably not a 28 volt radio. You might search for Plessey Smalltalk to see if that brings up any documents.

Last edited by a moderator:

mfn002

Premium Subscriber
Oh quite a rare beast. Apparently capable of 16 kbps encryption! A keeper. The zero might indicate that it is zeroized, no encryption Key.

Probably not a 28 volt radio. You might search for Plessey Smalltalk to see if that brings up any documents.

As I said, it powers up on 6 volts. Anyway, the memory battery is missing, so that might explain the zero on the display. There is a small diagram on the side of the radio that shows three watch-type batteries stacked on top of each other. I just wish I knew what type of batteries they were.

RFI-EMI-GUY

As I said, it powers up on 6 volts. Anyway, the memory battery is missing, so that might explain the zero on the display. There is a small diagram on the side of the radio that shows three watch-type batteries stacked on top of each other. I just wish I knew what type of batteries they were.

Here is a similar radio, different nomenclature, but it runs from nominal 12V.

Back then, watch batteries wre mercury and about 1.35 V. You can probably get by on newer 1.5V lithiums.

http://radiohistory.uk/plesseyPVS1850.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.