LTR Passport scanning - skipped or what?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I know that no scanner can track LTR Passport systems, but exactly how do Uniden scanners handle these sytems when they appear in the database? Do Uniden scanners simply scan the analog voice channels conventionally, or skip the system altogether?

Here's an example: https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=5267
One of the air medical companies here in DFW, CareFlite, was on a passport system for quite a while, before they moved to a DMR system. I just entered the frequencies, conventionally, without a delay, so that the scanner would not get stuck on a channel with intermittent databursts. That worked reasonably well, since there were few other users on the assigned frequencies at the handful of sites in use. i did run into an issue where one of the frequencies was used (conventionally) by an oil well services company, one that picked up brine collected at well sites. But all I had to do was enter the pl tone they were using and set the scanner to avoid that tone.

wbswetnam

What I mean is, if I am doing GPS location scanning, and I drive through an area where they have an LTR Passport system, and it has service types that I have selected, will my 536HP attempt to monitor the system or skip it?

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
What I mean is, if I am doing GPS location scanning, and I drive through an area where they have an LTR Passport system, and it has service types that I have selected, will my 536HP attempt to monitor the system or skip it?
As LTR systems are not in the Sentinel database, because that system type cannot be trunk tracked, then no, your 536HP would not attempt to receive it. This is similar to what happened with NXDN. NXDN systems were not in the database, until an upgrade for that format was available, and a few weeks later, Sentinel started including NXDN systems in the masterDB. I have no idea if a Passport upgrade would ever be offered. There may not be enough systems of interest to enough scanner owners to be economically feasible.

The only way to monitor it at all would be to enter as conventional frequencies in a Favorites list, and be sure to include the location details in the main RRDB if you want the GPS to control reception. While you could assign service types to the frequencies themselves, there's no way to include talkgroups, with or without a service type, so your options are limited.

wbswetnam

As LTR systems are not in the Sentinel database,...

I think that LTR Standard systems are in the Sentinel database, because (according to the user manual) Uniden (trunk-tracking) scanners can monitor LTR Standard, just not LTR Passport or LTR Multinet. I was just curious if the LTR Passport and Multinet were included in Sentinel as conventionally scanned for location-based monitoring, but I guess not.

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I think that LTR Standard systems are in the Sentinel database, because (according to the user manual) Uniden (trunk-tracking) scanners can monitor LTR Standard, just not LTR Passport or LTR Multinet. I was just curious if the LTR Passport and Multinet were included in Sentinel as conventionally scanned for location-based monitoring, but I guess not.
Yep. Standard LTR systems are in the database, but not Passport or Multinet. Only current option is to enter them as conventional.

Status
Not open for further replies.