Wanting a Cheap Scanner That Can be Controlled

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark_Hunter

Hello,

I'm looking for a cheap scanner that is capable of being controlled via the computer and one that can be shipped to New Zealand with ease.

Regards,
Dark_Hunter

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

majoco

Stirrer
What do you want to listen to? Be aware that the police in Auckland are all encrypted. Imported scanners may not cover the frequency bands here - for instance the Uniden BCT8 from the US does not cover the 70MHz frequencies, but the UBCT8 for NZ does - away from the main centres Police, fire, ambos are all in the 70MHz band here. Be very careful if you buy stuff on TradeMe.

Dark_Hunter

I have 2, just not sure how to utilise them

What do you want to listen to? Be aware that the police in Auckland are all encrypted. Imported scanners may not cover the frequency bands here - for instance the Uniden BCT8 from the US does not cover the 70MHz frequencies, but the UBCT8 for NZ does - away from the main centres Police, fire, ambos are all in the 70MHz band here. Be very careful if you buy stuff on TradeMe.
I hear you, I got one of TradeMe its the UBC72XLT, which works well. I plan on trying to scan a few frequencies but I want one with a few more bells and whistles and with tag support.

majoco

Stirrer
I don't think many handhelds support computer control (but I could well be wrong!). I have two UBCT8's that I have successfully interfaced with my desktop which do Alpha tagging and both run at the same time although it does need Com ports rather than USB so an older computer or laptop is best for the job. USB to Com widgets get a bit confused as they don't talk to each other and both try to connect to both radios! The Butel software reads the radios but as I haven't paid for it when the trial period ran out I have to update manually! The Uniden supplied software is cr@p!

Dark_Hunter

I don't think many handhelds support computer control (but I could well be wrong!). I have two UBCT8's that I have successfully interfaced with my desktop which do Alpha tagging and both run at the same time although it does need Com ports rather than USB so an older computer or laptop is best for the job. USB to Com widgets get a bit confused as they don't talk to each other and both try to connect to both radios! The Butel software reads the radios but as I haven't paid for it when the trial period ran out I have to update manually! The Uniden supplied software is cr@p!
A com port huh? Will those com to usb cable not work?

https://i.imgur.com/DRQHAH5.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.