WS1040: Small scratch on display

Status
Not open for further replies.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Try using a small dab of Nu Finish automotive polish with a soft cotton cloth, like a T-shirt or handkerchief. It's available just about anywhere that sells stuff for cars. It's in a bright orange plastic bottle.

N0GTG

Scanner programmer since 1997
Premium Subscriber
I've also seen toothpaste on a soft cloth recommended for fine scratches. Made sense to me.

Ubbe

There are lots of repair kits for CD/DVD discs and if they are good enough for making the laser read the data again it should be good enough for a display glass.

/Ubbe

RogueSteward

I've also seen toothpaste on a soft cloth recommended for fine scratches. Made sense to me.

Heck, I've used toothpaste on pretty significant and deep scratches with very good results. Galileo would've killed for the quality of our toothpaste for polishing his optics!

sprite1741

Polish it like everyone says but the plastic is soft and it will just happen again. I gave up on mine. It also gets dust underneath the display. You have to take it apart to clean it. I told Whistler about it but they really don't care to change anything. The cheap plastic belt clip broke, I have it JB welded back on. When things get bad enough I will order a new one. It works great so I don't care about the cosmetics anymore. Let us know how it goes.

Ensnared

Premium Subscriber
In the event you remove or hide the scratch, I would then invest in a hard leather case if you are using a handheld unit. It is worth every cent.

JD21960

Premium Subscriber
Fixed mine with

I 2nd what Electronicsdude said. I put Meguiar's PLASTX polish on my WS1080 screen and it all but vanished. I then used it on my Car headlights with buffer, AM/FM radio plastic and speedometer that had a gash in it and scoring. All are shiny as hell and crystal clear. The AM/FM radio plastic is so shiny it reflects like a mirror. Great stuff for "plastic" *especially dull plastic headlights. I do have a leather case now.

Status
Not open for further replies.