• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

XPR6550 Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I am thinking about buying a UHF- XPR6550. I have looked around and have a pretty good idea of what it can and cannot do. The one thing I am not sure about is, does this radio allow you to have more than 16 conventional channels per zone? I'm moving up from the XTS series radios which are limited to 16. It will be a for personal use radio, nothing critical.

Manny

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
No. Only 16 clicks on the ch knob. OTOH, on the 7550, the ch knob keeps turning like Linda Blair’s head in The Exorcist.

Exorcist ey? Definitely don't want THAT radio LOL Thanks for the reply.. I might still get the radio,

Manny

K2NEC

The 6550 is a great radio. Had mine for almost a year. Finally bit the bullet and got a 7550e and never going back. The 6550 is awesome for what it is. Gives you the basic functionality of a digital radio but not too many features that you get caught up in it all. The 7550(e) allows a lot more channels on a single zone which may be ideal for someone trying to scan or have more channels than usual in a zone.
I also like the design of the 7550 a lot better. I found that I have less accidental key ups since the button is protected with the little lip above the PTT compared to the 6550 where it has the PTT sicking out and I was constantly hitting it when getting in/out of the car or taking it off my belt.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
I thought I read somewhere that the 7550 can only scan 16 channels max regardless of how many you have in a zone, is this true?

Manny

K2NEC

Yea pretty much. If you want more channels and features then the 7550 is for you. If it doesn't really bother you that much and won't be using bluetooth accessories then the 6550 is great. And the 7550 has a lot of features that are redundant for a consumer that will be using it as their own radio not on a system. Either way both radios are great and it just comes down to what you like

N4KVE

Price too. The last 6550 I purchased was $50. 7550’s are still in the $400 plus range. The 7550, & all Gen 2 radios have some new features no Gen 1 radio can ever have. Such as the RX auto leveling feature. Ever notice how when you listen to several DMR radios in the same conversation. Each radio transmitting has a different transmit volume. With the auto leveling feature, the receiving radio makes all the transmitting radios have the same receive audio volume. This could be beneficial to anybody. Not just commercial users.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
...Such as the RX auto leveling feature. Ever notice how when you listen to several DMR radios in the same conversation. Each radio transmitting has a different transmit volume. With the auto leveling feature, the receiving radio makes all the transmitting radios have the same receive audio volume. This could be beneficial to anybody. Not just commercial users.

This is the exact reason I would never, ever go back to a Gen 1 radio. Even though the feature should be free, it's cheap enough, and quite literally life changing, especially in a mobile radio, where you can't be fiddling with the volume constantly. Best feature ever.

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
Hmm..I'm kind of leaning towards the 6550 for a few reasons. First, the price difference. Second, digital is wanted but not critical. Third, I don't think I will take full advantage of all that the 7550 has to offer so why pay for it. Finally, that proprietary antenna connector on the 7550 bugs me. I want the ability to change antennas as I please. So I am pretty sure the 6550 is the way to go for me. I'm moving up from the XTS3000 series radios so, besides the digital, am I getting anything better or more in switching to the 6550? I monitor mostly analog services with the XTS3000.

Manny

Last edited:

N4KVE

No. A 3000 is 10 times the radio a 6550 is. You can beat someone to death with a 3000, & still have a reliable radio. A 6550 is a decent radio, but not as rugged as a 3000. The only feature a 6550 has over a 3000 is DMR digital. I have both, but when I need a radio for analog, I always grab my 3000. When I need a radio for DMR, I grab my 6550.

K2NEC

And another thing to keep in mind is that a 6550 is only 403-470 or 450-520 NOT BOTH. The 7550 can do the whole bandwidth which is beneficial if you have public safety on UHF low and high like I do

N1SQB

Premium Subscriber
And another thing to keep in mind is that a 6550 is only 403-470 or 450-520 NOT BOTH.

You know what? good point! My XTS3K does 403-512,I overlooked that fact.Modified the codeplug a while ago. HMMM....I better rethink this move.

Manny

K2NEC

And since the codeplugs are encrypted you can't mod the frequency down/up

Status
Not open for further replies.