SDS100/SDS200: Went deaf...

Status
Not open for further replies.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
My SDS 100 went deaf this morning. All was fine last night, was receiving very well. Turned unit off before bed and turned on this morning and nothing. Can't even hear NOAA radio.

Hit_Factor

Grabbing at straws here.

Take out the battery, just in case the scanner doesn't really shut completely off. This will for sure cold reboot the scanner.

When it comes back up. In sentinel use the clear user data to reset the SD card. If you have recordings saved on the card, try to copy those first. I'm not sure what happens to recordings when clear user data is used.

If that doesn't help try a different microSD card. You will need to run clear user data on this card to set it up for the scanner.

I also try updating the firmware using sentinel. If that doesn't work, try the beta firmware posted by UPman, it's a sticky in this forum. Do this even if you have the latest beta firmware on it.

Also make sure you are using the latest Sentinel and the target device is set for SDS100. This by itself is unlikely to solve the problem. The other steps are just shots in the dark....

Good luck.

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Grabbing at straws here.

Take out the battery, just in case the scanner doesn't really shut completely off. This will for sure cold reboot the scanner.

When it comes back up. In sentinel use the clear user data to reset the SD card. If you have recordings saved on the card, try to copy those first. I'm not sure what happens to recordings when clear user data is used.

If that doesn't help try a different microSD card. You will need to run clear user data on this card to set it up for the scanner.

I also try updating the firmware using sentinel. If that doesn't work, try the beta firmware posted by UPman, it's a sticky in this forum. Do this even if you have the latest beta firmware on it.

Also make sure you are using the latest Sentinel and the target device is set for SDS100. This by itself is unlikely to solve the problem. The other steps are just shots in the dark....

Good luck.

Tried all these things. No good...

wx5uif

Premium Subscriber
Mine did the same thing. It started reading -35dbm on all channels and made a kerchunk noise every once in a while. It's at Uniden now..

sibbley

Premium Subscriber
Well, just packed it up to drop at UPS tonight. It's a sad day. It's been working so well on the latest beta firmware, I've missed it all morning.

WoodburyMan

Well, just packed it up to drop at UPS tonight. It's a sad day. It's been working so well on the latest beta firmware, I've missed it all morning.

Welcome to the club, they got mine late last week for the VFO knob breaking off. I had it 3 weeks, and it's going to take 4 weeks for repair :(.

letarotor

Premium Subscriber
I had a similar experience with mine but it turned out to be that I had accidentally turned the squelch up real high. It's an easy mistake to make every once in awhile and you might want to check that just to see?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Bob1955

Uniden Bearcat SDS100 Dead

Sibbley- If I were you, I would call your credit card company and stop the charge. This is why I use AMEX. This handheld scanner has numerous problems and the list keeps going on and on and on. For $649.00, this is ridiculous! It seems like Uniden released this handheld way too fast. I would never accept a new item to go for service that fast. NO WAY.

AvidHiker

That's frustrating, but given the likelihood that a large percentage of the early buyers are active here, I don't see how a few reports of defective units being returned for repair is indicative of a serious problem. And who was it that decided to purchase a completely redesigned scanner that was quite obviously going to have growing pains? Man up and accept some responsibility. ;)

Bob1955

Uniden Bearcat SDS100 Dead

AvidHicker-I don't have to "man up" because I never purchased this handheld scanner because A, I heard about all of the problems and B, I would never spend $649.00 on a handheld scanner but thanks for your concerns.
Have a great Wednesday afternoon.

Last edited:

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
So far so good, fingers crossed

Sent from my iPhone 8 using Tapatalk Pro
Jason WX4JCW
XPR7550 - SDS100

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
sibbley, I think this is what you were thinking of earlier, re an antenna connection:
initial post: http://forums.radioreference.com/ne...100-quick-performance-review.html#post2944212

problem found: http://forums.radioreference.com/ne...100-quick-performance-review.html#post2944367

Hopefully, they'll get you back up and running very soon.

WoodburyMan

That's frustrating, but given the likelihood that a large percentage of the early buyers are active here, I don't see how a few reports of defective units being returned for repair is indicative of a serious problem. And who was it that decided to purchase a completely redesigned scanner that was quite obviously going to have growing pains? Man up and accept some responsibility. ;)

This. My unit is defective, the knob broke off, and I agree with this. Early buyers are very active and "normal" levels of defective units may be the same as other models that have been out but you will hear about them more. Abeit though, i would expect a higher level of defects in a first batch series of a new model. Knew this when I got the scanner the day HRO started offering it pretty much.

Status
Not open for further replies.