Scanning Cambodia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
I have accepted a position with my company that is taking me to the capitol city of Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
I’ve tried to find information on google in regards to scanning. But all I can find is articles on registering radios or risk having them confiscated.

Can anyone offer any scanning info and advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lou9155

do not bring a scanner there...i question if there is any rule of law...i hope your well paid to be sent to a place like that

Priority-One

Anonymous participant
Banned
It’s a major city. The law is more specific about radio use and not scanning. I can’t find any info on the actual use of a scanner. But it will stay here.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
The email address under the contact information on that page would be my starting point.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
You're in Queens. Take thee to the Cambodian Consulate there in NYC and ask them. Something tells me they'll be very friendly, even if the answer is no. Ask about amateur radio. Ask them about any other hobbies you have that you might want to partake in while you're there.

The rules may be different for a foreigner, and asking nicely sometimes opens doors you thought were solid walls.

RFI-EMI-GUY

Having a scanner or any non broadcast receiver in many countries is looked at suspiciously. The UK is a prime example .

I looked at the TRC website and even did some searches for common terms. It seems that agency is not concerned with licensing of permitted ransmitting services . Laws prohibiting scanner receiver may be codified in federal laws and enforced as a national security manner.

You might try to look at the Customs restrictions for Cambodia to see if anything you might consider bringing is prohibited. A discussion with the Consulate is also recommended. But you do run the risk that you might be tagged as a foreign agent .

If your interests include Amateur radio, that is a more easily understood concept in most countries.

Personally, if my job and safety were on the line, I would leave the radios behind and spend the first 6 months getting aclimated.

My wife lived in a Communist country and she told me having an antenna raised suspicion. She had neighbors that would report such things.

I travelled to Jamaica once with a Kenwood R1000 SW receiver and the guy at customs said he could seize it. He didn't, but they have rules exactly like the UK as they were once under Crown rule.

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

wbswetnam

I'd leave the scanners at home. There's probably nothing that you would understand over the radio there anyway - I assume that you don't speak Khmer. You can get your "scanner fix" by listening to Broadcastify or using one of the scanner apps on your phone.

ecps92

Atleast for Amateur Radio you can start here
Reciprocal Permit
Licensing information for Cambodia - XU
http://www.qsl.net/oh2mcn/xua2.jpg

I have accepted a position with my company that is taking me to the capitol city of Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
I’ve tried to find information on google in regards to scanning. But all I can find is articles on registering radios or risk having them confiscated.

Can anyone offer any scanning info and advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.