BC780XLT: Powering the BC780XLT w/Energizer Lithiums

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Hello,
I'm setting up a BC780XLT to use as an emergency radio. It will be stored at a vacation home that is often vacant for weeks at a time. I personally visit there about twice each year. My plan for emergency power is a 10 AA cell battery holder with 10 Eneloop NiMH cells in it:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZTUI7Q/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The Eneloops will hold their charge well, but I will also top them off every six months or so. At about 1.3 volts each they should work great. But in case those die, my backup plan is 9 Energizer primary Lithium cells, and one AA 'dummy' cell (that passes current).

My concern is that the Energizer L91's, which have an initial voltage of as much as 1.83 volts each, might damage the scanner if I use nine of them (16.5 volts). The thing with the Lithiums though is the voltage supposedly drops very quickly when a load is applied. But I don't know how long that high initial voltage would last, or if it would do any damage to the BC780. I assume since the 780 was designed to be installed in a car, that it can function under a fairly broad range of voltage. But I'm not trained in electronics, so I'm just guessing. I also wonder if low voltage could harm the radio, as in an emergency the radio would likely be used until it completely drained the batteries. But I'm guessing low voltage is less of a concern, again because it was designed for mobile use and probably just shuts down when the voltage is too low.

Anyone have any thoughts on how robust the 780 is with regard to these voltage issues?

FYI, I've looked at other power options, such as gel-cell, Li-Ion, and lead acid 'jump-starters', but for various reasons I have ruled those out.

Thanks for the help!

Gordon

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Maybe replace it with a handheld scanner?

Well, the only one I have right now that I’d be willing to stash down there permanently is the BC250D. But that radio uses a proprietary battery pack that self-discharges relatively quickly. The Energizer Lithiums for the 780 would be ideal because they have such a long shelf life. Plus they’re very safe, don’t leak, store a lot of energy, and maintain a pretty flat voltage profile during use. I just don’t want to fry my 780 with them!

FKimble

Alkaline batteries now have a long shelf life. Just stock up on some good Duracels and keep them in their original package or maybe a tupperware container near the radio. If you need them then put them in the radio. Much cheaper and you can even keep 2 sets, much cheaper than having the Lithiums

Frank KK4YTM

JamesO

Alkaline batteries now have a long shelf life. Just stock up on some good Duracels and keep them in their original package or maybe a tupperware container near the radio. If you need them then put them in the radio. Much cheaper and you can even keep 2 sets, much cheaper than having the Lithiums

Frank KK4YTM

While many of the newer Alkaline batteries may list a long shelf life, Duracell batteries for some reason have destroyed MANY of my battery powered items due to battery leaked when just stored with no drain on them. Not sure what Duracell did to their formula or casings, but they are junk IMHO. Will not put Duracell's in any of my electronic devices any more. Costco and many of the big box stores had big packages of these batteries and they all leak prematurely.

Maybe this issue has been resolved by now, but many of the current batteries in devices may still have the leakage problems.

I strongly agree if the item is going to be used for occasional use it to keep batteries stored in a seperate container and I would probably double bag the scanner in Ziplock freezer bags and include at least 1 antenna and power cords in with the scanner and some antenna adapters and frequency listing/reference.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...atteries-leak-normal-use-class-action-claims/

JamesO

While many of the newer Alkaline batteries may list a long shelf life, Duracell batteries for some reason have destroyed MANY of my battery powered items due to battery leaked when just stored with no drain on them. Not sure what Duracell did to their formula or casings, but they are junk IMHO. Will not put Duracell's in any of my electronic devices any more. Costco and many of the big box stores had big packages of these batteries and they all leak prematurely.

Maybe this issue has been resolved by now, but many of the current batteries in devices may still have the leakage problems.

I strongly agree if the item is going to be used for occasional use it to keep batteries stored in a seperate container and I would probably double bag the scanner in Ziplock freezer bags and include at least 1 antenna and power cords in with the scanner and some antenna adapters and frequency listing/reference.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit...atteries-leak-normal-use-class-action-claims/

Not sure if Duracell has the same type of Leakproof Guarantee as Rayovac?? But best not to need to deal with leakage as it is really a crime to see good electronics ruined due to crappy materials or workmanship on batteries.

Support - Warranties & Guarantees | Rayovac ®

I will be submitting a Warranty Claim to Rayovac in a few weeks for an expensive piece of Fluke equipment. We will see how well Rayovac supports their Warranty!

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
A little update on this project. After doing some testing I’ve decided to just use a set of nine AA Energizer Max Alkaline cells. Turns out they will power the 780, with the backlight set on High, for at least seven hours. You can get well over eight hours if you turn the backlight off. That’s perfectly adequate for this purpose, and they should hold plenty of juice for at least five years. So I will forget about primary Lithiums for this, and use my Eneloops for other applications. The battery pack was fairly cheap and easy to cobble together. I used the car power cable that came with the radio; and the battery pack, 9 volt clip, and dummy cell all came from Amazon. A little soldering and heat-shrink tubing and it was done. Fun little project!

Last edited:

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
I can't seem to upload an image to this thread for some reason, but attached is a PDF image of the battery pack. I will try again tomorrow to get a proper photo up.

Attachments

• Untitled-1.pdf
    57.8 KB · Views: 36

sparklehorse

Premium Subscriber
Looks like RR fixed the upload glitch. Here’s a proper pic of the battery pack:

Attachments

• 967F1431-21DC-4B11-AADA-034AD87F63F0.jpg
    967F1431-21DC-4B11-AADA-034AD87F63F0.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 47
Status
Not open for further replies.