SDS100/SDS200: Looking for GPS module/Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Hi folks.... I'm new to the whole GPS aspect with these radios and I'm hoping someone can point me to an appropriate cable and GPS module to use with the SDS. I'm thinking about maybe going with the internal mod at some point but want to kick the tires a little bit first. I've got a trip to Northern Michigan coming up in a couple weeks and I'd love to give it a go. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know... thanks!!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm building a batch of external GPS units today and tomorrow, but the internal install is the most convenient to use--it's just there and works even when handheld, no cables and no clutter.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I'm really interested in one of your external units.... whats your turn around time right now to get one out the door?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Right now, probably about 10 days, I'm getting caught up on a backlog.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Alrighty, thanks for the info. Unfortunately I leave for my trip August 8th so I'll see if I can find a different short term solution.

N9JIG

Sheriff
The Uniden GPS receiver is available and in stock at several dealers however the adapter cable needed to make it work with the SDS100 (as well as the BCD325P2) is out of stock from Uniden and the dealer network.

I know the place I work has been trying to get more of the adapter cables and we have a bunch of people waiting on it. Most dealers have some sort of notification system that will alert you when an out of stock item is replenished, but I don't think they will be in by the time you leave on your trip.

bgav

Premium Subscriber
You can also use a Garmin GPS 18x PC (the one with the DB9/serial connector **NOT** USB version) along with the Uniden adapter cable.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
I'm considering grabbing a GlobalSat BR-355S4 from Amazon and homebrewing a cable with an external power source. Any red flags to be aware of right off the hop? This unit requires 12v power I believe?

bgav

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

UPMan

In Memoriam
Premium Subscriber
Natively the BR355 requires 5V. If you hardwire it to 12V you'll let the magic smoke out.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have one of Jon's external rechargeable GPS units for my 436 and it works like a charm. It's a quality piece of electronics and appears to be very durable though I haven't "roughed it up" yet.

(Disclaimer: I'm not affiliated with him in any way. Never met him.)

trp2525

Hi folks.... I'm new to the whole GPS aspect with these radios and I'm hoping someone can point me to an appropriate cable and GPS module to use with the SDS...If anyone has any suggestions please let me know... thanks!!

The Uniden GPS receiver is available and in stock at several dealers however the adapter cable needed to make it work with the SDS100 (as well as the BCD325P2) is out of stock from Uniden and the dealer network...

See this RR thread for further information regarding the Uniden BC-UTGC GPS USB cable for the SDS100 (and BCD325P2) including a list of selling dealers with direct links and pricing/shipping information: https://forums.radioreference.com/u...en-bc-utgc-gps-usb-cable-sds100-bcd325p2.html

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Thanks for the comments and suggestions everyone. I ordered a GlobeSat puck last night and tracking shows that it's out for delivery today (gotta love Amazon sometimes!) so I should have a cable whipped up today and be functional by tonight.

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Bah I totally missed that you need to use the ID pin on the mini USB connector... Now I need to order some of those too! I can't imagine any of the cables I have kicking around here have all 5 conductors available in them.....

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Success! All wired up and working great. Big thanks to everyone for their help and suggestions.

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I'm building a batch of external GPS units today and tomorrow, but the internal install is the most convenient to use--it's just there and works even when handheld, no cables and no clutter.

but do you have the proper cable? I know you like the Internal, but i really cant bear the thought of putting a hole in my radio, and since im not in a regular place all the time, the external operation is more preferable,

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
but do you have the proper cable? I know you like the Internal, but i really can't bear the thought of putting a hole in my radio, and since im not in a regular place all the time, the external operation is more preferable,

I'm kinda like you. I considered the internal GPS but I like having the radio closer to me with the GPS on the dash. I'm sure it's better satellite reception and the controls are easier to get to if I want hit avoid or stop on something.

Incidentally, I'm using it in a 436.

Status
Not open for further replies.