SDS100 with poor sound quality - fixable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wildfan

I have been trying to use this newly purchased scanner for the past 10 days, and I just cannot get past the fact that the audio quality is utterly worthless, coming from both the built-in speaker, and through quality ear buds. It's absolutely nothing like my 436, which I'm constantly going back to, despite my not having had the clock fix for it done yet... It's as if there's a tone control that's completely eliminated all treble frequencies. Is this fixable in firmware, or do I need to send this back to iSale? For what it's worth, the main F/W is 1.03.01, and the Sub version is 1.01.03. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thank you! -Bob

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I would try the most recent beta firmware, as some adjustments were made to audio cutoff frequencies. But if that doesn't help, you may have a hardware issue. My SDS100 and 436 sound similar with good quality headphones. There shouldn't be a significant difference in tone.

Wildfan

Thank you, Jon. They sound drastically different, and it's a deal breaker if that's how they all are; I'm willing to exchange it one time, so I'll contact them tomorrow to set it up, if the firmware doesn't help things.

Wildfan

I just updated with the public beta firmware, and there's zero difference in the audio quality, via built-in speaker or via ear buds. It's going back to iSale... I hope they have a pristine new one to replace it with. Thanks for reading - I'll update once I get the replacement unit. -Bob

perceids

Premium Subscriber
I have the same issue with analog reception in the 150 mhz and 460 mhz areas. Perhaps we have lemons. The 436 and 536 are fine.

richee2000

Communications Professional
Sea Bright NJ, Livingston NJ, Basking Ridge NJ
We don't have lemons. There are many many reports of the same thing on sds100. My problem is on analog VHF UHF and 800... I'm going to call Uniden and see if there is a fix... If not I might consider getting a refund on this sds100.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
You might consider posting a recording from the SDS 100 and another from the 436, hopefully the same system and channel. Perhaps someone from Uniden will see them and delve into it a little more.

richee2000

I'm going to call Uniden tech support first thing in the morning and get a return authorization for my sds100. This is got to be a known problem since this has been documented by numerous owners on various group sites.

racing1

I have this same problem on phase 1 & 2 talkgroups. I got to turn it up to 15 which is max volume, so I can decently hear everything.

Nasby

I had it , with the SDS 100, returned it today for full refund. NO WAY its worth $649 when it receives all analog pooly. (although p25 was great!) I will reconsider again WHEN they fix the defect...

Why didn't you send it in like they instructed?
Maybe they could have fixed the problems you listed.

richee2000

$35 to send it in and insure it and wait 3 weeks to get it back... And no guarantee the problem would be found and corrected. No thanks rather just get a refund. I will reorder the unit if and when the problem is totally identified and fixed and remarketed with new units.

richee2000

UPDATE on SDS100 poor Analog performance issue and bad audio: Spoke to Uniden direct factory rep today, he said "Uniden is aware of these issues and working on it... and will have a fix on new units shipped, hopefully by the end of the year". I am guessing you should also be able to send your current units back to them for "repair".

wise871

Database Admin
UPDATE on SDS100 poor Analog performance issue and bad audio: Spoke to Uniden direct factory rep today, he said "Uniden is aware of these issues and working on it... and will have a fix on new units shipped, hopefully by the end of the year". I am guessing you should also be able to send your current units back to them for "repair".

So if you got this from a Uniden direct factory rep than were looking at another repair campaign for another model Uniden scanner. No way a Uniden Rep would make something like that up. Wonder what UpMan has to say.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.