De iustitia potestas tenebrarum

Status
Not open for further replies.

737mech

Premium Subscriber
Last edited:

lou9155

great article. i never knew they were retired or out of service..they are really not that old compared to other aircraft..you would think with the billions spent on them and still the need for stealth they would still be active.

bryan_herbert

Premium Subscriber
Back in the 90s, I lived in Palmdale south of Plant 42. I can't begin to tell y'all how spoiled I was, from my front yard I was able to watch F-117s dogfighting and NASAs SCA bring shuttles to and from the facility. Late at night, the house would rumble from B-1 engine tests. Those were good days.

gariac

I did some blathering on this video plus the one with scanner audio on reddit. Here is a cut and paste :

------
I downloaded the video and did some analysis. What I find interesting is this video was not shot from Brainwash Butte. For my analysis, you need the hangar map: https://lazygranch.com/ttroae.html#Hangar_Map The hangar clusters are red, blue and white. Looking at the TTR from a position east of the base, white is the right most group. From Brainwash Butte, the back hangars line up with the front hangars. In this video, you can see some of the back row. That would put the location north of Brainwash Butte.

Front hangars white 46 and 54 are open. The door to rear hangar white 51 is cracked open.

At the end of the video, the shot is under power lines. Maybe shot north of the base.

Map to Brainwash Butte here: https://inplanesight.org/nellis.html

The name Brainwash Butte comes from Brainwash Cola. The "interceptors" were drinking it on probably their first visit to the hill. Brainwash Cola is sold at the "nut house" in Beatty.

The origin of the name might be on the old Blue Fire website which is archived here: Area 51 and Other Strange Places

-------
Listen To This Highly Interesting Radio Recording Of The F-117's Latest Flight Over Nevada - The Drive

This is scanner audio from the range. As explained in the article, the F-117 audio starts at 4 hours 30 minutes. It sound to me like Night 17 and 19 tank on Sierra 98 at the same time. Night 19 hangs around the TTR and does proficiency training. Instrument landings, touch and goes, etc. Night 17 does testing, presumably at Groom Lake.

Large cargo planes are code for 737 Janets. Silverbow is the TTR tower. I won't write it down, but the video reveals an unpublished Groom Lake frequency called "control".This is unfortunate since the base often changes frequencies when published.

---------
https://www.reddit.com/r/SpecialAccess/

jrholm

great article. i never knew they were retired or out of service..they are really not that old compared to other aircraft..you would think with the billions spent on them and still the need for stealth they would still be active.

B52 anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.