Indoor discone

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisadafoe

I am super new to this and looking to get more range from my scanner. I hear discone antennas are good. What exactly are they? How do they work? I live in an anaprtment so do they make indoor ones?

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
What are you trying to accomplish? What bands/frequencies are you monitoring? Discones are not always the best choice.

AI7PM

Premium Subscriber
I've been using them for years, including to transmit. Good all around antenna, and possibly the widest banded antenna out there. Beware the "Gain Hype".

bharvey2

I am super new to this and looking to get more range from my scanner. I hear discone antennas are good. What exactly are they? How do they work? I live in an anaprtment so do they make indoor ones?

To answer your question, a discone is an antenna designed for a wide band of frequencies. roughly speaking, it looks sort of like a partially collapsed umbrella without the fabric. If you're looking for one "do all" antenna, it is a fair contender. However, as was asked earlier, what are you trying to listen to? If there is one particular band, there is likely a solution that will prove a better performer. While a discone could be used inside, they are more commonly installed outside, say on the roof. With most frequencies that the typical scanner could monitor, a clear, unobstructed view to the transmitter is ideal and height is your friend.

parkerkowens

Also what you gotta think about if you do get a roof mounted antenna is how are you gonna get it into your house to your scanner

wtp

years ago the girlfriend moved out

and for that Christmas i put up a discone that i had laying around.
on the dining room table, as a centerpiece.
my friends all know and understand, i like radio.
it worked great, but most of my listening was local.
i took it down after new years.
but just to give you an idea, try it and see.
beware the pointed ends

bharvey2

and for that Christmas i put up a discone that i had laying around.
on the dining room table, as a centerpiece.
my friends all know and understand, i like radio.
it worked great, but most of my listening was local.
i took it down after new years.
but just to give you an idea, try it and see.
beware the pointed ends

Given it's Christmas tree shape, did you decorate it? (With RF transparent decorations of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.