• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Is there some kind of microphone that will increase my "talk power" or "punch"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc0bus

Is there some kind of microphone that will increase my "talk power" or "punch"?

Hi,
I seem to be having a hard time in being heard on the air on CB radio. Is there some kind of microphone I can look for to get that will greatly increase my "talk power" or "punch" or "drive" or "volume" on the air? I'm practically at the point of having to shout into my microphone just so I can be heard at a normal level over the air. Thanks for any suggestions....

Last edited:

IAmSixNine

Feed Provider
There needs to be testing done first to see if the microphone has an input problem. Covered hole for the microphone comes to mind.
IT could be an issue with the insides not transitioning the audio properly.
Only testing and maybe some tuning will tell you.

prcguy

What brand/model is your radio? An aftermarket amplified mic can really improve your transmission and make your voice really stand out if you get a compatible model.

Hi,
I seem to be having a hard time in being heard on the air on CB radio. Is there some kind of microphone I can look for to get that will greatly increase my "talk power" or "punch" or "drive" or "volume" on the air? I'm practically at the point of having to shout into my microphone just so I can be heard at a normal level over the air. Thanks for any suggestions....

kc0bus

What brand/model is your radio? An aftermarket amplified mic can really improve your transmission and make your voice really stand out if you get a compatible model.

I currently have a Uniden 980SSB

prcguy

If you used the 980 as a base station I would recommend a Shure 526T or a Turner +3, those are the best sounding mics ever made for CB and they work the same on every radio. For mobile use the Turner M+2U and +3 mobile versions would be very old mics needing batteries that are not made any longer.

I've tried the mobile Astatic D104M6B and its not a good match for the 980, no bass and very screetchy sounding. I'm using one temporarily but I was able to equalize out the treble and it sounds ok but I'm still not happy with it.

swen_out_west

Another question is whether you use this as a base or mobile?

I have 2 980 ssb's and the audio with the stock mike is horrible and this is coming from a guy whose voice is too loud and usually overdrives other radios. You can do a mod where you open it up and remove the foam, set your mic gain high, it helps a little but still way low.

I put a turner +3 on the one I use for a base and everybody commented how it didn't sound like the same radio. You'll need to learn what setting is best, AM and SSB will have 2 different settings.

I just purchased an Xtreme 2018 (the 2018 isn't the model year, these mics have been discontinued for years) for use with my mobile. Same thing, it isn't the same radio. A mud duck mobile with stadium sounding audio, lol. They are expensive and hard to find. Someone last month put a bunch up on ebay and I think the cost was 65.

Last edited:

Retroradio

I use a 980ssb as a base and both the standard D104 lolipop and the modern Astatic 1104c work well on it. It is however a fine line to set the gain on both the radio and the mic as to not overdrive it.
I cant speak to the mobile microphone reccomendation for this radio.
I may be biased but I run Astatic on everything and have for years and IMHO there the best. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.