Palm Beach County Sheriff Encrypting

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc2hzj

PBSO has gone encrypted on all districts. According to a deputy friend they were told to flip the switch ... Don’t know if it’s a permanent move at this time. We shall see...

dave7933

When I spoke to the Radio department a couple months ago I was told it’s permanent. That’s why I didn’t buy new scanner. Very frustrating.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
While traveling, I do my best to not spend a penny in any county that encrypts routine traffic.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Just PBSO ? I leave town for a few days and wham !! What about Lantana, South Palm Beach, Palm Springs and Lake Clarke Shores ?

PBCFR ?

captainmax1

Premium Subscriber
Too bad about Palm Beach County. I'm up that way several times a year with my scanners. I usually donate a few bucks to my local LEO each year but I would never donate to a County that used Encryption. If everyone did that, then they might look at it a little different. Speak with your wallet.

N4KVE

Just PBSO ? I leave town for a few days and wham !! What about Lantana, South Palm Beach, Palm Springs and Lake Clarke Shores ?

PBCFR ?

If they are on the PBSO radio system,,then yes. I have been told PBCFR will not be, but I don’t know personally. OTOH, WPB is still phase 1, not encrypted. But I bet “special people” will still be able to listen to PBSO.

Last edited:

kc2hzj

PBCFR ?

So far not PBCFR but they did move over to the new system so the radios are most likely key loaded and they just have to throw the switch. As far as the others go, they are not on my scan list. I will listen up next time I’m riding around.

N4KVE

So far not PBCFR but they did move over to the new system so the radios are most likely key loaded and they just have to throw the switch. As far as the others go, they are not on my scan list. I will listen up next time I’m riding around.
I was told the county did not want to spend the extra hundreds of $ per radio to encrypt the FD. But that's always an upgrade that can be done at a later date.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I have Unitrunker running at home so I’ll let everyone know tomorrow what talkgroups are showing ENC.

kc2hzj

I was told the county did not want to spend the extra hundreds of $ per radio to encrypt the FD. But that's always an upgrade that can be done at a later date.

Not like the old days of putting a DES-XL module in each radio. Nice just to have software driven encryption...

dave7933

If Palm Beach County fire rescue is not encrypted then why haven’t I been able to pick them up when PBSO went encrypted?

kc2hzj

If Palm Beach County fire rescue is not encrypted then why haven’t I been able to pick them up when PBSO went encrypted?

They were fine an hour ago when I got out of the car. They did change systems aover a month ago.

dave7933

I think that’s my problem. Am I able to get phase 2 on this scanner? I didn’t think so.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
PBSO's moving to full encryption on the County's Public Safety Radio System should be of no surprise to anyone here....

Kevinbb

PSAP-Retired
Premium Subscriber
welp, scratch PB County off my retirement destination. Lockdown Florida has become a less desirable choice for my golden years :( California? At least I can pull in CHP from just about anywhere

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
I’m guessing the 16 channel Interop plan programmed into our radio will still remain clear and FDMA ?

But no surprise here. I just find it personally ridiculous. I don’t think there is a need to ENC dispatch when you can 103 a call or flip a switch if need be. I do think SRT, OCB, TACT, DET...have at it with ENC. The previous fleetmap was set up that the proper talkgroups had an appropriate level of security. But everyday comms...I guess the whole “Protect and Serve” mentality has changed and we all know PBSO isn’t the most transparent agency based upon history (www.pbsotalk.org)

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I’m guessing the 16 channel Interop plan programmed into our radio will still remain clear and FDMA ?

But no surprise here. I just find it personally ridiculous. I don’t think there is a need to ENC dispatch when you can 103 a call or flip a switch if need be. I do think SRT, OCB, TACT, DET...have at it with ENC. The previous fleetmap was set up that the proper talkgroups had an appropriate level of security. But everyday comms...I guess the whole “Protect and Serve” mentality has changed and we all know PBSO isn’t the most transparent agency based upon history (www.pbsotalk.org)

LE Call and standard compliment of LE Commons 1 through 5 is remaining FDMA and unencrypted.

APX8000

Sarcastic Member
Roger that, thanks. Are they still going to tone priority calls simulselect on LECALL ?

Status
Not open for further replies.