STARS Sites Sorted by VSP Divisions

Status
Not open for further replies.

K4APR

Has anyone gone through the trouble of sorting the STARS RF sites be the VSP divisional areas? I currently have one big catch-all zone in my scanner for STARS with basically all VSP talkgroups and all of the RF sites near the areas I travel to. I'm thinking about breaking it up into separate zones based on the divisions so I can better control which talkgroups I am actively listening to, as well as the number of control channels the scanner has to go through before it's likely to find an active control channel.

I already have an overlay map traced out on paper showing which sites are physically within the divisions, but now I need to go figure out which site is which name and list out the control channels. I guess I didn't want to be lazy, but also didn't want to re-invent the wheel ;)

Thanks in advance!

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's not likely worth the effort, because talkgroups are not typically strictly limited that way. They are often allowed to roam with users, so that a site will carry a talkgroup that doesn't belong to that site, as long as an authorized user of that talkgroup is using the site. Especially when users may go outside boundaries during pursuits and such.

I'm guessing your scanner doesn't support GPS?

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I think I understand your question correctly... are wanting STARS CC sites that are grouped by Division?

I did this a while back for when I don't have my GPS. What type scanner are you referring to? I have Sentinal files for the x36 scanners.

K4APR

I think I understand your question correctly... are wanting STARS CC sites that are grouped by Division?

I did this a while back for when I don't have my GPS. What type scanner are you referring to? I have Sentinal files for the x36 scanners.

Exactly. I am currently using a Whistler TRX-2.

After making this post yesterday, I started on a spreadsheet to do it myself. I'm about half way through. Using both RR database and the Google STARS map someone created a few years ago, I'm slowly putting it together. I have found a few sites that were added since the Google map was created. Trying to catch those and add them as I go along.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
Sounds great. I am not familiar with the Whistler's programming. For the Uniden's, what I have done is create a location based Favorites List in Sentinel for STARS to use with GPS when I travel. I normally have this list off.

In addition, in my main Favorites List, I have STARS programmed with Quick Keys by system & site. I can turn STARS on and off and each site on and off. I have my list of sites created in a Google Sheet that I can access on my phone for reference. But on the fly, they are programmed basically by Division for quick reference.

For example: My main Favorites List is #1. STARS is system #2 (and is not Location Based). The site numbers go into the third position in the quick keys. 1st division sites are 10's, 2nd are 20's, etc. I have all of VSP's TG's in the system scanning... I can temporarily lock out or Avoid them as wished.

To turn STARS on and off, I key in 1.2 and Enter. For an individual site, I program in the site number in the third position. For example 1.2.45 and Enter, would get a STARS site in 4th Division. 1.2.62 Enter would be in 6th Division. If I wanted to see what site was the best reception for 5th Division, I could turn on and off all sites individually in the 50's. This way I could have one STARS site scanning and maybe another local system, limiting multiple (possible) STARS sites being scanned and a local system.

I have found GPS is the best option while traveling in a vehicle, but sometimes you can have sites turned on that are out of range. So, I like to switch to my main Favorites List when I am stationary and turn sites on and off.

Maybe this helps you with some ideas for your programming. Good luck!

W4UVV

A basic version was done 15 years ago

Excellent idea. I have always wondered why that was never done.

https://www.broadcastify.com/listen/feed/592

I created my own STARS VSP division/zone/site/frequencies charts for each VSP division over 15 years ago and still use the updated site versions today.

As others have posted, attempting to track talk groups basically is a waste of time due, in part, to the various site affiliations of the various STARS talkgroup users.

It will be helpful to anyone new to monitoring STARS comms first to understand how the STARS system works. VA was the second vhf Motorola multiplexed packet trs sold and installed. Alaska was the first. Both states had various "growing problems".

STARS basically is a multiplexed packet data digital system using mobile terminals, ATD and DTA voice, operating system software using various resources including microwave PTP links, fiber optic, repeaters, etc. for the various seven VSP STARS divisions statewide system.

Said another way, STARS is NOT your typical digital APCO P25 trs and was not designed to be one.

John
W4UVV

Eugene

Don't know if this will help. Go to the database area and click on VA......Then click on any county to get the STARS trs system listing at the bottom of the page......Then click on the STARS listing, and once there, at the top, click the WIKI page. On that page will be a "related WIKI pages" section. Select "STARS sites and related routes" link......That will give CC'S per division and the routes in that area. Maybe that will help.

Eugene KG4AVE

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Don't know if this will help. Go to the database area and click on VA......Then click on any county to get the STARS trs system listing at the bottom of the page......Then click on the STARS listing, and once there, at the top, click the WIKI page. On that page will be a "related WIKI pages" section. Select "STARS sites and related routes" link......That will give CC'S per division and the routes in that area. Maybe that will help.

Eugene KG4AVE
OK, I used this link and discovered clicking on the word county did sort the counties.. I really don't know how I missed or forgot that.. But it could be a age thing... LOL

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3783&siteSort=county#sites

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber

Eugene KG4AVE
OK, I used this link and discovered clicking on the word county did sort the counties.. I really don't know how I missed or forgot that.. But it could be a age thing... LOL

https://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?sid=3783&siteSort=county#sites

Eugene

Did you go to the WIKI page: Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) : Wiki: Related Wiki Pages: Travel Reference (VA): STARS Sites and Nearby Routes List -- cross references tower-sites and major roads. Example - First 2 listings: STARS Sites and Nearby Routes List

STARS Site
Number/ STARS Site Name/ County/City/ VSPDiv/ Nearby Routes
101 / Richmond / Chesterfield / 1 / I-64, I-95, US 1, US 33, US 60, US 250, US 301, US 522
102 / Petersburg / Petersburg /1 / I-85, I-95, US 1, US 301, US 460 E

Clicking on the respective STARS Site Name gives the following:

Richmond Site Details
Site Frequencies
151.1525a 151.3175 152.0375c 158.9925 159.1125 159.1875 159.2625 159.3375 159.4275 159.4575

Petersburg Site Details
Site Frequencies
151.3475 151.3625 151.4675 152.1425a 152.5325c 152.5925 152.7725

Has whole chart for each division with frequency listings, control channels and map of repeater site and broadcast radius and is so much easier to use than the main database.

Eugene KG4AVE

KC4ASF

Feed Provider
Premium Subscriber
Did you go to the WIKI page: Virginia Statewide Agencies Radio System (STARS) : Wiki: Related Wiki Pages: Travel Reference (VA): STARS Sites and Nearby Routes List -- cross references tower-sites and major roads. Example - First 2 listings: STARS Sites and Nearby Routes List

STARS Site
Number/ STARS Site Name/ County/City/ VSPDiv/ Nearby Routes
101 / Richmond / Chesterfield / 1 / I-64, I-95, US 1, US 33, US 60, US 250, US 301, US 522
102 / Petersburg / Petersburg /1 / I-85, I-95, US 1, US 301, US 460 E

Clicking on the respective STARS Site Name gives the following:

Richmond Site Details
Site Frequencies
151.1525a 151.3175 152.0375c 158.9925 159.1125 159.1875 159.2625 159.3375 159.4275 159.4575

Petersburg Site Details
Site Frequencies
151.3475 151.3625 151.4675 152.1425a 152.5325c 152.5925 152.7725

Has whole chart for each division with frequency listings, control channels and map of repeater site and broadcast radius and is so much easier to use than the main database.

Eugene KG4AVE
Thanks Eugene! That is what I was looking for.

Status
Not open for further replies.