Overheating / Thermal Issue SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrzfm100

Hello folks-

I've grown concerned about reports of overheating on new SDS100..

I'm wondering if the thermal issues are limited to just a few radios or if this is a very large scale problem with SDS100?

I use my 436 for 10-12 hours at a time with NO thermal heating. Is it possible to operate the SDS100 for the same period without internal heating becoming an issue?

For specificity, I can operate the 436 for extended periods without noticing any heating issue IF 436 is supported only on the bottom AND free on all 4 sides for heat dissipation. Operating the 436 with the unit in the case or surrounded by papers without free airflow DOES produce noticeable heating!

I look forward to hearing user comments.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
It's not a "problem". Every electronic device has some degree of heating during operation, even the 436. The SDS100 uses about 4x the power of the 436, so it has to dissipate 4x as much heat energy, and it's a lot more noticeable.

The SDS100 gets warm during use, but it's normal. It has several CPUs, and a tuner chip that by itself draws as much power as the 436. The heat does not affect the radio's operation, even when left running in a hot vehicle with the windows up and no A/C. I've done that to my SDS100 on several occasions with no effect on performance or operation.

troymail

Silent Key
The SDS does get hot (or others would say "warm") - moreso than any other (receiving only/scanner) radio I've ever owned.

Uniden says it is "perfectly normal" - I guess they mean "...for this radio".

Aside from potential future issues with heat over time (trapped heat potentially affecting components over time), the only day-to-day issue I see with this excessive heat is having to wait for the radio to cool down before you can charge the proprietary battery.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Aside from potential future issues with heat over time (trapped heat potentially affecting components over time), the only day-to-day issue I see with this excessive heat is having to wait for the radio to cool down before you can charge the proprietary battery.

Battery charging is only (temporarily) disabled if the SDS100 is in an ambient environment significantly warmer than normal room temperature, like >80F.

spotsyrick

its no worse than a phone, these issues were way overblown

I agree, there are a few people that just keep going on and on in regards to the heat of the SDS100. It does not get hot whether you have it on for 10 hours or 2 hours. It's warm that's it. The only time that it gets hot is when you leave it in a vehicle for awhile. That's normal, it gets a hot in a vehicle, my iphone gets the temperature error and I can't even use it until it cools. It's hilarious to read some of these post about how hot it gets, but it's also funny that the few that are complaining are the G4 and G5 owners. We get it, it's so hot you can cook an egg on it!!

K9JLR

Hello folks-

I've grown concerned about reports of overheating on new SDS100..

I'm wondering if the thermal issues are limited to just a few radios or if this is a very large scale problem with SDS100?

I use my 436 for 10-12 hours at a time with NO thermal heating. Is it possible to operate the SDS100 for the same period without internal heating becoming an issue?

For specificity, I can operate the 436 for extended periods without noticing any heating issue IF 436 is supported only on the bottom AND free on all 4 sides for heat dissipation. Operating the 436 with the unit in the case or surrounded by papers without free airflow DOES produce noticeable heating!

I look forward to hearing user comments.

I've never had the radio "overheat," in so far as overheating generally refers to an electronic device rapidly increasing in temperature to the point that internal circuitry could be damaged, or there could be a risk of fire or other injury to the end user.

The radio does sometimes get warm and stop charging the battery. That's almost exclusively happened when it's in the vehicle during the summer (obviously I haven't been able to use it in cooler temperatures yet). It just stops charging and resumes when the radio reaches an ambient temperature. I haven't notice it affect the performance of the radio itself.

W4ELL

Feed Provider
I've never had the radio "overheat," in so far as overheating generally refers to an electronic device rapidly increasing in temperature to the point that internal circuitry could be damaged, or there could be a risk of fire or other injury to the end user.

This has been my experience also. It is noticeably warmer than any scanner I have owned but it has NEVER overheated or stopped working at any time. I have also had it stop charging while in the car but it has NEVER overheated to the point of reduced operational performance or shutting down completely.

I saw another thread with a similar theme but there have been no actual reports of the scanner shutting off because of heat. If there is such a report, please link me to it.

DSC45

Premium Subscriber
SDS100 Warm to touch

I’be had my SDS100 since the third week of June. Paul (Upman) said before the scanner was available, it will get warm to the touch. Jonwienki, whom I completely trust, said it is normal.

Today, as everyday since I received my scanner, is plugged into charger approximately 10 hours a day, and gets warm to the touch. I checked with a thermal temperature device and found at the base of the sma connector (101.5) degrees, and on the top section of the radio
(104.5) degrees. I’ve read some forum members are saying their scanner was (128) degrees.

I’m using the RadioSkack 800 antenna, and I listen in my air condition home.

The operational performance has not varied from the first day!

jrzfm100

Thanks all very much-

Yes it is important to remember that the unit has a full fledged CPU that performs the processing for the SDR chip!! (I had forgotten)..

My REAL concern was that BER was dramatically increasing over time as a function of internal operating temperature. It seems like that is NOT a common occurrence.

spotsyrick

Thanks all very much-

Yes it is important to remember that the unit has a full fledged CPU that performs the processing for the SDR chip!! (I had forgotten)..

My REAL concern was that BER was dramatically increasing over time as a function of internal operating temperature. It seems like that is NOT a common occurrence.

When you use a laptop computer for awhile it gets warm to, a lot warmer than the SDS100

spotsyrick

The SDS does get hot (or others would say "warm") - moreso than any other (receiving only/scanner) radio I've ever owned.

Uniden says it is "perfectly normal" - I guess they mean "...for this radio".

Wow, I see that the Unication has a heat problem.
https://forums.radioreference.com/unication-forum/374847-anyone-seen.html

noaim

Premium Subscriber
Mobile phones have processors that get way hotter then the sds100 and we all shove them in cases that there is no way to get the heat out and you never see a problem rarely at all. I personally don’t see this as a problem

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

spotsyrick

Just proves my point that it's not a big deal. The SDS100 gets warm, my iphone gets hot in a car, the G4 and G5 get warm. Can we all just drop it with the heat issue.

radio3353

Just proves my point that it's not a big deal. The SDS100 gets warm, my iphone gets hot in a car, the G4 and G5 get warm. Can we all just drop it with the heat issue.

You should follow your own advice :wink:

NWI_Scanner_Guy

SCANNING THE AIRWAVES SINCE 1987
I agree, there are a few people that just keep going on and on in regards to the heat of the SDS100. It does not get hot whether you have it on for 10 hours or 2 hours. It's warm that's it. The only time that it gets hot is when you leave it in a vehicle for awhile. That's normal, it gets a hot in a vehicle, my iphone gets the temperature error and I can't even use it until it cools. It's hilarious to read some of these post about how hot it gets, but it's also funny that the few that are complaining are the G4 and G5 owners. We get it, it's so hot you can cook an egg on it!!

Or waffles. LOL!! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.