Antenna on shed

Status
Not open for further replies.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
I’ll be moving soon, and will be turning a 10x20 shed into a full Radio Shack to speak. It will have mostly scanners and computers for my website, but I’m seeking feedback on antennas. What’s the best way to get a signal off the shed Antennas tonthe main house about 250 feet away?

Thunderknight

Premium Subscriber
At that distance, remote mounted receivers and IP stream it to the house. 250 feet would be a lot of cable loss at anything above HF. Unless you plan to use some serious hardline.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Extend the WiFi in the house to the shed either via a mesh node or bridge. Access all your radios in the shed via remote control, e.g Uniden’s Siren app, Ham Radio Deluxe, or other software programs that remotely control your radios and also provide audio connection.

iMONITOR

Silent Key
Premium Subscriber
Extend the WiFi in the house to the shed either via a mesh node or bridge. Access all your radios in the shed via remote control, e.g Uniden’s Siren app, Ham Radio Deluxe, or other software programs that remotely control your radios and also provide audio connection.

Why not run direct burial CAT6 Ethernet cable? You could cut a mini-trench using a gas powered lawn edger. Gigabit speeds, no interference.

popnokick

Premium Subscriber
Fast, Easy, or Low-cost. In computer and networking fields and projects you get to pick two of those three attributes. Which of those apply to direct-burial Ethernet?

Last edited:

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
Why not run direct burial CAT6 Ethernet cable? You could cut a mini-trench using a gas powered lawn edger. Gigabit speeds, no interference.

Much beyond 250 feet and it would be pushing the limits of Category 6 specs, but it usually works a bit longer than the "100 meter rule".

Also, they'd want to use direct bury rated cable. That'll add to the cost. Even direct bury cable is at risk from damage. Gophers, tree roots, etc. Often it's a good idea to lay in conduit and run the appropriately rated cable through that. It'll help it last a lot longer and will make it easy to add/replace cable as needed.

By the time all that work was done, it might be easier and cheaper to just get a pair of Ubiquity radios and set up a link.

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
All good ideas so far, but I think I will run a Cat6 line to the shed. I will have Gigabit/Gigabit service at the residence.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Are you looking to remotely monitor your scanners in your house that's 250 feet away from your shed? Since you say you'll have computers in your shed, I'd assume you'll also have Internet service as well?

KC2GVX

Premium Subscriber
Yes, there will be Gigabit internet in the shed and electric. I am looking to have scanners in the house and shed to use. Mainly looking to get the remote operation in the house, but the best possible signal is paramount.

bob550

Premium Subscriber
Yes, there will be Gigabit internet in the shed and electric. I am looking to have scanners in the house and shed to use. Mainly looking to get the remote operation in the house, but the best possible signal is paramount.

Is your goal to mount an antenna on the shed to feed both the scanners in the shed as well as in your house?

scottyhetzel

Cat6 shielded, sch 40 1/2 pipe less than 4) 90 degree bends. Tia570 max is 328 feet. Cat 7a is a plus. With spectrum now offering a gig Speed.. fiber single mode is the best. If anything install a pull string for future fiber. There no substitute for hardwired. Add access point wap to shed too. Add ip cameras to shed too. So cheap these days.

bharvey2

If you're going to trench and conduit, don't bother with small conduit like 1/2", especially for data. Data cable is much more prone to damage during a pull. Use at least 1" and 2" is better. Pulling will be a breeze. Also, although you could certainly pull it now, consider pulling fiber at least in the future. you won't encounter the length limits of either single or multi-mode fiber and it's not uncommon to order it pre-terminated now. Having a larger conduit in place will also allow you you pull fiber with terminated ends.

Having conduit in place allows you to upgrade far easier that if you opted for direct burial. And an FYI if you're not in the know: data and electrical power can't go in the same conduit under most circumstances. Use separate conduits.

mmckenna

I ♥ Ø
I agree, if you are going to trench, toss in at least 2 conduits. One for power, if you don't already have it, and one for signal.
2" minimum for your signal conduit.

And even inside conduit, you will need underground rated cable. Standard indoor Cat# cable won't stand up to being damp all the time.

bharvey2

I agree, if you are going to trench, toss in at least 2 conduits. One for power, if you don't already have it, and one for signal.
2" minimum for your signal conduit.

And even inside conduit, you will need underground rated cable. Standard indoor Cat# cable won't stand up to being damp all the time.

Absolutely correct. I meant to bring that up when I first started writing but got side-tracked. Underground conduit will eventually let water in. It's always better to use DB (direct burial) cable inside conduit. It's also a good idea to get as much separation between power and data conduits as possible to minimize noise on your data lines. This is is where fiber shines!

bharvey2

i mentioned 'direct burial' back in post #5.

Yes you did. Except for temporary installations, I place DB cable in conduit for added protection and the inevitable time that it still goes bad, needs to be upgraded, etc. Between entropy and that Murphy dude, there's always a time that I need to do it again. Having it in conduit makes for less work in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.