Waterford PD

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolrich55

The other day one of their tac channels was being used, encrypted. First I've ever heard that. Wonder if they had an incident or what it was being used for.

sefrischling

Public Information Officer
There is no encryption in use within Waterford.

There were no notable incidents within Waterford yesterday.

coolrich55

It was WPD TAC. And it was definitely encrypted. Only that one night for a few hours. Nothing since. That's all I can tell ya.

sefrischling

There is no option on the portables or mobiles to switch to encrypted that I know of, or have seen, and I've directly handled the WPD portables quite a few times.

I have one zone set up with WPD Dispatch, Ops 1 & 2, WPD 3-6-7-8, FD/PD Ops, andTAC and heard nothing like what you are describing. I usually keep one portable on WFD/NLFD/Medics, and the other portable on WPD. I am curious what you heard

cookandcamera

This is something that I have heard on my BC796D but not on my 396XT. Its listed at WPD Tac 4 (TG 105). Has an obvious encryption squawk to it. I was unsure if it was a bleed over from another system. I can't immediately explain why I could only hear it on the older scanner.

sefrischling

This is something that I have heard on my BC796D but not on my 396XT. Its listed at WPD Tac 4 (TG 105). Has an obvious encryption squawk to it. I was unsure if it was a bleed over from another system. I can't immediately explain why I could only hear it on the older scanner.

Unless dispatch has an encryption key to some secret radios ... the portables are not field capable of switching to encryption. All the radios are natively capable of encryption from Harris, but not set up for use. I wonder if they are using the channel, since it is so rarely used, to test the data bursts.

cg

Premium Subscriber
Could be the older scanner dropped the p25 sync and you got digital noise. P25 voice noise and encrypted voice noise sound the same to me.

chris

coolrich55

Not to sound like a know it all but over the years I've heard plenty of digital encryption from different sytems on my psr500 and what I was hearing that night was encryption. Wasn't just a couple transmissions either. Went on for a couple hours at least. But still nothing since that night. Bleed over from another system? Maybe. In the past I've heard analog trunked systems coming in over the CSP system. Usually on Troop E dispatch 2. I believe from Long Island.

cookandcamera

It did sound more like garbled conversation vs. a data burst and appeared multiple times over several days on the same talkgroup. That being said, I am very far from a digital communications expert. Just passing along what I heard and noted. I have not heard it in well over a week now.

sefrischling

So it's coming up on Scanners only ?

I hate to say, I don't listen to WPD or WFD on a scanner. Their 800 system exists for me on an XTS3000, XTS2500 and an M/A Com P7100. So that may be why I am missing it.

coolrich55

Last night it was active. Coincided with the serious accident and road closures. WPD TAC. TG 105. I paid attention to the voice channels and all that came up were with the Waterford system. I think it's safe to say that their tac channel is encrypted.

sefrischling

I was at the MVA, Police were operating on Dispatch and Ops 1. FD was operating on Dispatch.

My XTS3000 was set to scan, and the radio zone contains:
WFD Dispatch
WFD TAC 1 (conventional, non-trunked)
WFD Ops 1
FD-PD Ops
WPD Dispatch
WPD Ops 1
WPD TAC
L+M Medics

... I heard nothing on any channels other than WPD Disp, WFD Disp, WPD Ops 1, Medics, so that is very odd.

coolrich55

I first noticed it around midnight. I think my theory that it could be another system interfering gets thrown out the window I think just because the frequencies that were popping up with that TG were all Waterfords.

coolrich55

Long Island? Conditions have been favorable.

I also get Suffolk county's system on it's own and sometimes on the csp system. Wouldn't it be quite a big coincidence that someplace on Long Island is using a digital trunked system that has at least 3 of the same voice channels as Waterford? Not being a smart aleck. Just seams unlikely.

snowscout

This is weird! I just went looking for an old notebook that I used keep by my scanner to record something of interest. This thread jogged my memory. I couldn't find the notebook but I distinctly remember hearing something like this. I thought it was the State Police or some government organization the Navy or Coast Guard! I'll have to start listening to Waterford again to see if I can catch this. Occasionally, I pick up New York digital stuff if weather conditions are right. This is very odd.

Status
Not open for further replies.