ic-r30 review

Status
Not open for further replies.

questnz

Hi thanks for that, I am keeping eyes on R30 Ring local distributor they still waiting for first shipment but the price they give me is good. I use to have IC-RX7 not sure why iCom stop manufacturing them so quickly? One question, R30 being "receiver" can you detect and tune to strong signals like Close Call or Signal Stalker or R30 don't have these facilities?

palmerjrusa

Hi thanks for that, I am keeping eyes on R30 Ring local distributor they still waiting for first shipment but the price they give me is good. I use to have IC-RX7 not sure why iCom stop manufacturing them so quickly? One question, R30 being "receiver" can you detect and tune to strong signals like Close Call or Signal Stalker or R30 don't have these facilities?

I don't think so but I've only begun to learn to use all the features this receiver offers.
Others may be able to help out here.
I'm certainly very pleased with its performance.

Not sure why Icom discontinued the IC-RX7. I own many other Icom portable radios (ic-r2, ic-r5, ic-r6, ic-r3, ic-r20) but the ic-rx7 never appealed to me for some reason, maybe it just didn't sell well.

If you don't own an ic-r6, I would consider buying one before Icom discontinues that model as it's been around for a while. The ic-r2 is a fantastic little radio and Icom made further improvements in the later iterations (ic-r5, ic-r6).

questnz

Thank you, RX7 was good as an analog scanner actually it win some Japan design Award and then they stop making it. Used R6 for a while, too frustrating for me, sold that one too not too good for quick hand programming just like Yeasu 500 was. R30 appeal to me despite short of DMR, local distributor for iCom will have software available with the R30 !

palmerjrusa

Thank you, RX7 was good as an analog scanner actually it win some Japan design Award and then they stop making it. Used R6 for a while, too frustrating for me, sold that one too not too good for quick hand programming just like Yeasu 500 was. R30 appeal to me despite short of DMR, local distributor for iCom will have software available with the R30 !

I read somewhere here that Icom is supposed to be making DMR available for the ic-r30.
Not sure if you're referring to the Icom software but that looks very expensive to me and is probably not nearly as good as the coming RT Systems software for the ic-r30:

https://www.rtsystemsinc.com/Icom-receivers-radio-programming-software-s/1875.htm

questnz

The iCom sales lady told me that when R30 will be available here "it will come with programming software"
at the price she give me? assume that will be iCom R30 software. Will see in few months time.
Cant find anything in the brochure about Close Call thingy equivalent, be nice to have it.

palmerjrusa

The iCom sales lady told me that when R30 will be available here "it will come with programming software"
at the price she give me? assume that will be iCom R30 software. Will see in few months time.
Cant find anything in the brochure about Close Call thingy equivalent, be nice to have it.

Not sure about where you are but here it costs extra and it's expensive, CS R30 is retailing around $75.00.
The RT Systems software will likely be around $25.00 and a lot better.

palmerjrusa

I am talking to iCom NZ price she give me was NZ$899 equiv about US$600 +/-. Australian Price is AUS$850 equiv US$635. All prices are much the same. Looks like software is extra, she may been referring that software will be available. https://www.strictlyham.com.au/icom-ic-r30-receiver

About the same price as here then.

The supplied antenna is pretty good but usually you can do better for different parts of the RF spectrum.
What do you usually use with your portable receivers?

cherubim

Premium Subscriber
The lack of DMR support for the R30 and 8600 is a big deal breaker for me. If Icom rectifies this omission they will generate more sales.

hardsuit

Vrigo Super Cluster, Milky Way Galaxy, Sagatarious
questnz - Close Call and Signal Stalker are a joke. get a Real NEAR FIELD receiver like the OPTO Digital Scout or just use a Laptop with SDR. the Opto Digital scout LOCKS on Instantly as soon as someone KEYS up. it can search its Entire Spectrum in Less than 1 second. and records Frequency, tones, data and how many times a Frequency is used. If you have a ICOM R20 you can React Tune the Radio. and R20 can use Voice Scan as well as Write to Memory Automatically. all Close call and Signal stalker are SEARCH BANKS, nothing more, they cant Analize the network. Opto Digital Scout is pager sized, can be SET to Vibrate, Beep or remain Completely Silent while operating. I frequently walk Malls and other Targets as well as park near Police Towers to capture frequencies.

N3CI

Premium Subscriber
I have been using my R30 to monitor specific HF frequencies of interest as I am on the move and unable to get to my main receivers. The results have been very gratifying...the R30 on its whip is pretty sensitive on the HF bands on CW/SSB and AM.

Hit_Factor

One of the third party firmware geniuses has a promiscuous mode. Turn the mode on and monitor the freq. In my case it's a dvmega running pi-star linked to brandmiester talk groups.

I have a tyt md390 for a ccr. Firmware is md 380 tools.

questnz

questnz - Close Call and Signal Stalker are a joke. get a Real NEAR FIELD receiver like the OPTO Digital Scout or just use a Laptop with SDR. the Opto Digital scout LOCKS on Instantly as soon as someone KEYS up. it can search its Entire Spectrum in Less than 1 second. and records Frequency, tones, data and how many times a Frequency is used. If you have a ICOM R20 you can React Tune the Radio. and R20 can use Voice Scan as well as Write to Memory Automatically. all Close call and Signal stalker are SEARCH BANKS, nothing more, they cant Analize the network. Opto Digital Scout is pager sized, can be SET to Vibrate, Beep or remain Completely Silent while operating. I frequently walk Malls and other Targets as well as park near Police Towers to capture frequencies.

Yes you're are absolutely right here. I know as in the old days i owned analog Opto Scout paired with trusted AOR 8000 via small ribbon cable and modified back battery cover, the kit cost me arm and the leg these days. Both gone a long time ago. Today's arrangement with Close Call and Signal Stalkers build into receivers not perfect but convenient. Icom R30 still on my Christmas list but only with DMR implemented, otherwise TRX-1 need to be my main handheld unit until TRX-100 come out with better electronics or SDS100 glitches get ironed out. Options very much open at the moment, no real preference as long as something work as expected. As for laptop i own SDRPlay RSP1A and two SDR RTL 3 dongles. Have a good day.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.