WMATA on SDS100

Status
Not open for further replies.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I'm trying to listen to Wash Metro Transit on my SDS100. Nothing heard. BCD436HP hears the system. DSD+ hears it too.

Something odd is that DSD+ is showing talkgroups on the 2000 series as P25 while I hear the analog talkgroups on the scanner.

Can anyone else confirm what I am.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Figured out my problem. Needed to write the newly updated full database to the scanner along with the favorites list.

Maybe that is something already covered in the operation of the SDS100 and related scanners.

Live and learn.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Figured out my problem. Needed to write the newly updated full database to the scanner along with the favorites list.

Maybe that is something already covered in the operation of the SDS100 and related scanners.

Live and learn.

On second thought,,,,, is it necessary to write the full database to the scanner when I write a changed favorite to the scanner?

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
The database will always be written by default if Sentinel is newer than the scanner. The checkbox only applies if the versions are the same but you want to rewrite the database to the scanner anyway due to corruption or something.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
The database will always be written by default if Sentinel is newer than the scanner. The checkbox only applies if the versions are the same but you want to rewrite the database to the scanner anyway due to corruption or something.

Interesting. I did not know that. Thanks.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I am still looking for a fellow NoVA listener to tune in to the WMATA trunked radio system on their SDS100 and tell me how they are receiving it.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
One thing for certain, the SDS100 does not receive/scan the WMATA system as well as the 436 does. 436 does not hang on a talkgroup after a comm has finished, for one thing.

Is this issue something that can be determined by someone in the know looking at a debug file?

freqhopping

I think there is something screwy going on with the system. Talkgroups are hanging on my 436, 396XT, 325P2 and Pro106

Even heard a dispatcher say there were communication problems.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
I think there is something screwy going on with the system. Talkgroups are hanging on my 436, 396XT, 325P2 and Pro106

Even heard a dispatcher say there were communication problems.

I've been hearing that chatter for 2 days.

Have you listened to this system before without the same problem?

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Some things I have discovered is.........
The RR database freqs (16) are not the same as the FCC license (18 freqs) or what I get when running Unitrunker (14 freqs)

And, Unitrunker shows "Dispatch Timeout - Unlimited". Not sure if that means anything.

And, some TGs will hang on a freq and others won't. Not sure if that is a freq issue, TG issue, system issue, or a scanner issue.

rbuxton

Premium Subscriber
Well, I guess all the WMATA workers complaining over (at least) two days that their radios weren't working properly had something (everything ?) to do why the SDS100 wasn't receiving properly.

FWIW, I have the SDS100 and the 436HP sitting next to each other and they are both stopping on the same talkgroups and resume scanning when the transmission is complete.

I'm not accustomed to radio systems not working correctly but if there ever was one that shouldn't then this (WMATA) is it.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
I'm not shocked in any way whatsoever, I used to ride Metro every day, and listen to that system. It is by far the worst system I've ever monitored in terms of the percentage of radios with absolutely terrible audio quality. And not too many transit systems have web sites wholly dedicated to notifying riders whether the system is on fire:

https://ismetroonfire.com/

Status
Not open for further replies.